• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kontakt 2 Steinway D

Share/Bookmark

Kontakt 2 Steinway D

I noticed that Kontakt 2 comes with a 1GB Steinway D piano by Postpiano. I'm very impressed with it. How does it compare to other Postpiano products? Is it a subset of an already released library?
    Does Postpiano have pianos with the same release and sustain pedal string resonance effect like that of the bundled August Foerster?
    Thanks,
    Serge

Re: Kontakt 2 Steinway D

The K2 Steinway D is a subset of the Old Lady, 3 layers, no sustain pedal down samples, just convolution and the harmonics script.
    The full Old Lady is 10 recorded velocities (pedal up and 10 pedal down) and lots more. So the K2 Steinway D is 1/8 th of the full set!
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

I also upgraded to Kontakt 2 and I must say the Steinway D that came with it is really awesome! No wonder it's great - it's Michiel's piano!

Thanks Nhick,
    Imagine the OLD LADY full version is 8 times better
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Wink Re: Kontakt 2 Steinway D

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    Imagine the OLD LADY full version is 8 times better
    I just ordered the Gold Bundle ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Michiel Post
    The K2 Steinway D is a subset of the Old Lady, 3 layers, no sustain pedal down samples, just convolution and the harmonics script.
    The full Old Lady is 10 recorded velocities (pedal up and 10 pedal down) and lots more. So the K2 Steinway D is 1/8 th of the full set!
    THAT explains why it's so good. Great piano for a great sampler.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

I second the opinions . The Steinway in Kontakt 2 sounds nice.
    Although, the Convolution Reverb eats too much CPU power...
    Wish NI improves this.

The convolution works flawless on my G5 single 1.8G CPU machine. CPU load with full piano music stays below 60% with all 3 body IR's. I kno there are people with much more powerful CPU's that have seen sudden spikes or high CPU counts during convolution use. I'm certain NI will find the root of this and fix it. They already fixed a bunch of such problems so I would believe a solution is near.

Other than that, the whole new K2 platform (new output config, scripting, midi automation etc) is the best tool I have right now. As said in other posts it brings the holy grail of piano sampling a lot closer!
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum