• Register
  • Help

Topic: Digital Music Database?

Share/Bookmark

Digital Music Database?

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hey guys,

I've got a huge catalog of digital music on my HDD, mostly albums I've bought from iTunes, others imported from my CD collection...

I'm looking for options to make a database of these albums + tracks. (alittle over 600 albums or 7500 songs)

Is there a specific freeware program that does this by reading mp3/m4p ID tags? Or would hand entering into database software (like OpenOffice or MS Access) be better?

Anyone done this themselves? It would be cool to make it like a BMG or COlumbia House catalog where the album cover pic could be added too.

Any options? Thanks in advance.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: Digital Music Database?

Windows Media Player can search your HD for all your MP3's and allows you to see all the info, as well as covers . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Yeah but I want something more elegant - something I can print and something I can showoff to other music collector friends of mine.

And most of the formats I use to compress don't work in WiMP.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

iTunes saves its database in an XML file in clear text. You could write a parser and extract all of the iTunes info. My friend did that, but it was for his employer, so his code's not sharable. Apparently, Apple even publishes an open spec regarding the XML file format

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    Yeah but I want something more elegant - something I can print and something I can showoff to other music collector friends of mine.

And most of the formats I use to compress don't work in WiMP.
    There's a thing called Meedio that you might want to look at. It's for creating a Media Center on your computer, including music, movies, TV shows, photographs, etc. You have a menu system that is accessible with a remote and you can store all of your music, with covers and added info -- then you just click on the album cover or playlist of your choice and the selections begin to play.

I've loaded it on my living room TV/stereo system, networked to my office computer with a 200 gig external drive (and don't BUY one of these drives, just get an enclosure and make your own) full of music.
    --
    Robert Gregory Browne
    KISS HER GOODBYE (now available)
    KILLER YEAR: Stories to Die For (Jan. 2008)
    WHISPER IN THE DARK (2008)
    St. Martin's Press
    http://www.robertgregorybrowne.com

Go Back to forum