• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Recent Film Score et al

A Recent Film Score et al

Sorry for lurking more than posting. I have been enjoying listening to everyone's music. I love that everyone is creating with such passion and ambition.

I want to share a couple of cues from a film I recently completed. The film is called Captive, and is still in the final stages of completion.

The ensemble is primarily GPO, augmented with a few live elements, a couple of patches from EW-Silver, and a couple of patches from Roland XV & SRX stuff.

Anyway, I value your opinions, so let me know what you think if you have a sec to listen. There are more cues for Captive posted on my website: www.houseofblackbirds.com

The other pieces I want to share are some rough draft cues for a movie called Woman In A Green Dress, which I wrote last fall. The director waited until the last minute to bring me in to the project, and was all excited, and then one day just decided he didn't like the music. So...whatever to that.

Re: A Recent Film Score et al

[QUOTE=jmc]Sorry for lurking more than posting. I have been enjoying listening to everyone's music. I love that everyone is creating with such passion and ambition.

You have a flair for Theatre Music. You orchestrations are great, your GPO creations are great, and your cue compositions are great. Also, you have the same intitials that I have (JMC).

Enjoyed listening to all of your offerings.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Some darned nice material, Joseph.

Mr. Fish has a somber lyricism to it I found very moving.

Abduction... neat! Especially when you back off to silence and then whallop back in. Too many writers miss the power and impact of -- empty space.

Very effective, Escape. The opener effects work great, and the lift and energy of the first section of the piece contrast well with the still-tense but quieter central section... leading into that fairly hair-raising final third.

JohnMC, you are far too kind. I'm glad you enjoyed the music. And David, thank you so much for listening. I completely agree about silence as a necessity in film. It's a strange thing with short films though, because often you have little time to develop a theme and not much to build up to the "big hit," either. In the case of this film, I thought I had overcued it, and told the director wherever he wanted to fade out and fade back in with the score was fine by me, because I had really overdone it. And after I showed the first draft to the director, he wanted MORE music. I suppose that's a good thing.

Mr. Fish is kind of a flashback/montage. A girl just moved and is unpacking her stuff, and you learn that her son has recently died, and she's trying to move on. Abduction follows immediately after where some mysterious guy breaks in. She hides in the closet and he finds her and grabs her, and knocks her unconscious by smacking her head against the door jamb. The rest of the film is about her being held prisoner over the course of a week, until she is finally able to break free and run away.

Thanks again,

I'm going to bump this before it falls off the front page forever...just to make sure everyone got a chance to listen and comment or gripe etc...

Go Back to forum