• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Incredible Horns

Share/Bookmark

Incredible Horns

This composition was submitted as an entry into a "theme composition" contest in 1994. A new electronics megastore was opening in Northern California by the Tandy Corporation (Radio Shack) and wanted a short piece UNDER TWO MINUTES as a theme for their new store, "Incredible Universe."

So, I wrote this little offering and called it, "Incredible Horns." There were two prizes: Grand Prize of $1000 and Second Prize of $500. I was lucky enough to win the Grand Prize. All because my wife notified me from reading the local newspaper that this contest was taking place. I scoffed at it at first, but decided to give it try..........

Needless to say, my wife claimed half of the Grand Prize of $1000. (How to make a buck by directing someone else's activities.)

Everything is GPO except the choir. That was taken from the Roland SC-88 and recorded as an audio track for inclusion in the piece.

Hear it at: http://cannonscores.com/IncredibleHorns.mp3

Comments Welcome,

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Incredible Horns

Very nice job John!

So, I am assuming that your portion of the $1,000.00 is long gone!

deepeeDan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN
    Very nice job John!

So, I am assuming that your portion of the $1,000.00 is long gone!

deepeeDan
    You got that right, DPDAN. And, to boot, the nice guy I am, my wife got half TAX FREE. When I had to pay $250 of this on Tax Day, I ended up with only $250, but the experience was more rewarding than the monetary prize.

Thanks for your comments.........

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

You had GPO in 1994? Wow! That's really an ADVANCE copy!

KevinKauai

Neat piece, Jack! This kind of "fanfare" work is tough to do well, and hold listener interest.

What did you use for the vocals in this?

Best,

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai
    You had GPO in 1994? Wow! That's really an ADVANCE copy!

KevinKauai
    Hi KevinKauai:

Yeah, in 1994, it had to be a real advanced copy........Nah, the piece was written in 1994 and done only with MIDI sound modules. Now that I have GPO, I though I would give it a second try.......Sounds much better to me.

Thanks for listening. And Kevin, would love to see more of your graphic art in some of our recent tutorials. Yours are really excellent........

John

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Neat piece, Jack! This kind of "fanfare" work is tough to do well, and hold listener interest.

What did you use for the vocals in this?

Best,

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David:

Believe it or not, the original piece was created with my MIDI sound modules and I used the Roland SC-88 for the choir patch. For inclusion here, I recorded the MIDI track to audio using the sound module output and inputting it into my Emagic EMI 6/2m audio interface and then to my HD as an audio file. Next, into Digital Performer with the other GPO instruments.

John

Smile Re: Incredible Horns

Nice piece, it make me remember of my first approach to little soundrtrack and jingle composition and arrangement in epic Macintosh era.

I found a job in this way, but I never won anything...

Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    Nice piece, it make me remember of my first approach to little soundrtrack and jingle composition and arrangement in epic Macintosh era.

I found a job in this way, but I never won anything...

Congratulations!
    Fabio:

Actually, if you found a job with the jingle, you won something better......

Thanks for listening.

John

Very nice work. It's a fun theme. Do you have the original version still? It would be fun to A/B GPO and the 11-year aged MIDI version. ...which reminds me, I have an 11-year aged scotch I need to compare with my taste buds.

Congratulations on winning the contest. Every contest I enter always ends the same with the "Dear Composer," letter. And then a hit-list of all the winners. Maybe someday...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast