• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for a decent MIDI keyboard controller.

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a decent MIDI keyboard controller.

Hey all,

Looking to get myself a keyboard midi controller. I have a digital piano right now that I use for playing as well as midi, but I want a smaller possibly 49-key controller that I can place in front of my computer keyboard. See attached pic... I want to place my computer keyboard on top of my desc.. and possibly have the controller able to slide out ...

I'm not looking to spend more that $250 but I would like to get something decent. I've been looking at the Yamaha CBXk2...

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...RIBUTE,00.html

Seems pretty decent and at zzzsounds.com they have one @ $239. It has a midi merge which I would like in case I want to use the mod-wheel on the controller with my digital piano.

Anyone have any experience with this controller or any other suggestions?

Thanks..

Re: Looking for a decent MIDI keyboard controller.

Edirol / Roland has a new line of PCR keyboard controllers "PCR-M series". The only draw back is the combination modwheel and pitch control. Most likely spring loaded.
    Novation has series of controllers that have a "switchable" modwheel joystick control "static" which emulates a non-spring wheel or "spring". I am not a dealer or sales person and prices may vary. Sweetwater stocks both manufactures.
    Hope this helps.
    Styxx

Actually, what I do is exactly the opposite. I have my keyboard and mouse on the slide tray and my 88-key controller on top, and it looks like you have plenty of room on top to do this. Maybe something to think about if you want to get a bigger controller . Sorry but I can't help with brand when it comes to 49-key controllers.

James W.G. Smith

Not 49 but 61 keys, M-Aidio "Keystation 61 es" is a nice board, would fit your setup, but it is a contoller only, no onboard soinds,mod wheel, pitchbed and a volume slider, all of them are programable to any MIDI controller number. The price os much less than 200.

Ted

Maybe you should take a look at the new CME-UF5 (199$)
    http://www.cme-pro.com/

Keyboard magazine reviewed the big brother of the series (UF8) and gave it a good score. In fact, as soon as I have the space I'll buy one of those myself

Quote Originally Posted by guybrush threepwood
    Maybe you should take a look at the new CME-UF5 (199$)
    Hey that one looks pretty sweet, I'll look further into it..... Anyone with any experience with those?

I'm looking for something with a decent 'feel'. I don't like something that just feels cheap and feels like it might break if I hit a key too hard. What is the different between semi-weighted action and weighted action? I imagine my digital piano is weighted, so I'm expecting a midi controller not to be as good a 'feel' as my digital piano. The only experience I have with 'keyboards' is a 10 year old cheap casio keyboard, which I would never be able stand to use!

Actually further looking into those CME's....... they look sweet.

I have logic Pro... These CME's have REC, PLAY, STOP,FASTWIND, REWIND AND RETURE TO START buttons.... I can map these to their respective functions within logic right?

Go Back to forum