• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Fugue in C Major (Style: J.S. Bach)

Share/Bookmark

Fugue in C Major (Style: J.S. Bach)

I submit another of my fugues in the style of J.S. Bach. I consider his music so perfect that I try to improve my own composition chops by studying his style and write in the Baroque style as the ultimate composition exercise.

I wish my GPO chops were better as it would do the piece more justice.

This one is a little faster tempo than the first (in dm).

http://cannonscores.com/FugueinCMajor.mp3

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: Fugue in C Major (Style: J.S. Bach)

Since the fugue is the truest test of a composer's skill (in my opinion anyway), you might include the score with your post so we can revel in the structure of yours! I will listen when I get home, but I am always more intrigued to analyze a fugue to see the art behind it. I really like how well the fugue translates to modern music sounds. I often have quasi fugal sections in my music, especially during developement sections.

The idea of writing fugue to practice composing is excellent. I look forward to hearing, and hopefully seeing your fugue today.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Thumbs up Re: Fugue in C Major (Style: J.S. Bach)

I fully agree. I also would like to see the score, to follow the fugue.

Nice musical treatment of the form, in the baroque "free style". It's a pleasure hear this exercise.

I was forced in conservatorio to write in the late baroque / early classic "severe" style of ricercare, very academic and less nice to hear. (I will post some sample for curiosity and didactic confront)

Only one request: why no pedale in the end? It would create the right retoric end to the fugue, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio
    I fully agree. I also would like to see the score, to follow the fugue.

Nice musical treatment of the form, in the baroque "free style". It's a pleasure hear this exercise.

I was forced in conservatorio to write in the late baroque / early classic "severe" style of ricercare, very academic and less nice to hear. (I will post some sample for curiosity and didactic confront)

Only one request: why no pedale in the end? It would create the right retoric end to the fugue, IMO.
    Fabio:

I employed a pedal point in my first fugue (in dm). I wanted to it a little differently this time. Thanks for the compliment.

John
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Very nice. I haven't really studied fugue yet (I try to use a lot of elements in my music) so I can't comment too much on authenticity of Bach style fugue, but I liked what I heard.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd
    Very nice. I haven't really studied fugue yet (I try to use a lot of elements in my music) so I can't comment too much on authenticity of Bach style fugue, but I liked what I heard.
    Trentpmcd:

Since I am a pianist, I played a lot of Bach during my formative years. The Well-Tempered Clavichord is a good place to analyze a Bach Fugue. Start with a 3-voice fugue first.

Then, get a copy of Alfred Mann's "The Study of Fugue." This little soft cover book first traces the history of the Fugue through the ages, and then gives direct examples from different periods as well as a lot of tutorial on how to construct a Fugue.

It takes a concentrated effort to write a Fugue unless you are really gifted. I worked very hard to learn what I know about the genre, but I have been rewarded by being able to construct some on my own.

John

I have the Mann book I just haven't had time to read/study it yet. Hopefully soon.
    Trent P. McDonald

Cool Re: Fugue in C Major (Style: J.S. Bach)

Hi Jack,

I digg the subject of your mini fugue!

Look forward to hear more of your Baroque style pieces.

Fred

Fredrik:

WOW, you dug deep to "dig" my Fugal subject............lol

But, I thank you for your comments. I think I will listen to
    this one more time. It's been a long while and, while working
    on this fugue, I got real tired of it..................lol

I think I posted a fugue in dm before this one. I also think
    I liked that one better. I was really surprised after it was
    completed because most of the Baroque characteristics were
    included.......to my surprise...........lucky, I guess.

I like fugal writing because it is a real challenge (almost
    mathematical). To be honest, some of the parts took a few
    days to complete: some episodes and, especially the Stretto.

Thanks again,

Jack

Jack,

Another fine accomplishment!

Good choice of instruments and well balanced!

I can't even start to imagine myself delving into such a project...

Cheers,

Yudit

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast