• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT - VST vocal chain-How do I?

Share/Bookmark

OT - VST vocal chain-How do I?

I know this is a little off topic but I'm a little lost on where to go from here...Basically I just want to get more milege out of my VST PC as a live vocal chain too and not just a sound module...I want to run my Neumann U87ai into the XLR input of the Tascam US-122 and somehow have access to some VST plugins like compression,eq,etc then send that one channel out of the US-122 to another PC running Protools Digi 002 to record....The main goal is to have the compression and eq in real time so it's applying it as I'm recording the vocals to a track in the Digi 002...I use V-stack on the VST-PC now but I don't know this will support what I'm trying to do...I also have the free Cubasis loaded that came with the US-122 but it looks more complex than what I want to get into....I just need a simple single vocal channel into the US-122 that I can add some of the VST plugs in real time and back out....Anyone know a SIMPLE option out there as I'm new to this....Thanks!...Moon

Re: OT - VST vocal chain-How do I?

Hi Moon,

My first thought was something like Bias Peak or Deck, but I visited their site and they seem to only have Tascam drivers for Mac. The next thing that comes to mind is creating (in ProTools/Digi-001) an input channel that has an output assign to an audio channel so you could print the FX.

Best solution I can think of is get an M-Box for the PC. This would give you ProTools lite, which would be an environment you're used to. You can also put your Waves authorizations on an I-Lok and most likely use those plugins on the PC and print that to your Digi-001.

Oh well, so much for simple.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMarshMusic
    Hi Moon,

My first thought was something like Bias Peak or Deck, but I visited their site and they seem to only have Tascam drivers for Mac. The next thing that comes to mind is creating (in ProTools/Digi-001) an input channel that has an output assign to an audio channel so you could print the FX.

Best solution I can think of is get an M-Box for the PC. This would give you ProTools lite, which would be an environment you're used to. You can also put your Waves authorizations on an I-Lok and most likely use those plugins on the PC and print that to your Digi-001.

Oh well, so much for simple.
    Thanks for your thoughts! I'm not sure I follow how an M-box would solve the problem by putting it on the second PC...As far as I know, you can only apply RTA/VST plugins to already recorded sections within protools....You can't send a live signal to them and make them work in real time...Actually, you CAN do this by turning "low latency monitoring" off but the latency is so bad it's unusable on my setup anyway....I thought for sure there would be a virtual channel strip by now either stand alone or plugin that I didn't look into it until now ( I already sold my Avalon 737 and Rossetta ) That was the perfect chain but I do more playing around than actual projects so that stuff was only getting used like twice a year when I'd actually have something far enough to lay down vocals, so I sold it....Guess I should have looked at this option a little harder before selling but I'm positive there is a way to do it....Somehow....I can hook the mic up directly to an input on the digi 002 and record but after working with a compressor during tracking, It's hard for me to record direct without spiking....I can turn the input down more I guess but it definitely feels alot different recording that way....I have heard some great plugin compressors I know would work great like the Nomad Blue stuff....Just need to figure out somehow....Thanks again for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonmusic
    I'm not sure I follow how an M-box would solve the problem by putting it on the second PC...
    Hi,
    I only mentioned the M-box because you said the Cuebase thing was more than you wanted to get into. For a few hudred bucks you could have ProTools on the PC.

I've used a seperate input channel assinged to an audio track on my TDM setup and that works fine. Perhaps the TDM approach has a different level of latency.

'just thinking out load.
    Good luck.
    JM

Quote Originally Posted by JeffMarshMusic
    Hi,
    I only mentioned the M-box because you said the Cuebase thing was more than you wanted to get into. For a few hudred bucks you could have ProTools on the PC.

I've used a seperate input channel assinged to an audio track on my TDM setup and that works fine. Perhaps the TDM approach has a different level of latency.

'just thinking out load.
    Good luck.
    JM
    Yeah, I think the latency on a TDM system would be MUCH tighter than what I'm getting....If latency wasn't an issue, I could as you suggested send a processed track around and record that but even that wouldn't solve having to turn down the initial input track because then that track wouldn't have the compression added....I will probably dig into the Cubasis far enough to figure out how to open one track add compression, maybe eq,etc. and save that as a project so I can just call it up when I want to do vocals....I'm just hoping there is something more simple I'm not seeing....Of course maybe that route won't put the chain before the input in Cubasis either and I'll have to keep the input low on the US-122 as well?....Boy what confusion?...Thanks again

Go Back to forum