• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Pacific NW Film Scoring Programs this Summer

Share/Bookmark

Pacific NW Film Scoring Programs this Summer

GPO Users:

The Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program is pleased to announce that they are again offering their 2 Week Summer Intensive Programs. There are two programs available for this Summer, one based in Seattle, Washington (July 11th - 22nd) and one based in Edinburgh, Scotland (August 22nd - September 2nd).

There will be a GPO elective couse both both the Scotland and Seattle programs.

The Seattle based program has been offered for the last 2 Summers and has attracted students from as far away as Australia, Brazil, Dubai as well as from all over the US and Canada. The Edinburgh program was first offered last Summer and attracted students from all over Europe and the US. Details about both programs is available on our website at: http://www.pnwfilmmusic.com

Currently on-line registration is only available for the Seattle program as the last details for the Edinburgh program are still being finalized (registration and accommodations information should be available in the next few weeks).

Both programs include the first 2 "core" classes of the internationally recognized regular year program taught by the program's creator: 2 time Emmy Award winning composer/arranger/conductor Hummie Mann. These classes cover many topics including: who are the "players" on the music team and what they do - the music supervisor, music editor, contractor, orchestrator, copyist, etc.; discussions of the different types of scores - electronic, acoustic, combination; what are the characteristics of a successful and effective film score; how is music synchronized to film - click tracks and free timing; budgets and contracts; performing rights organizations and royalties; techniques of composition particular to writing dramatic music and much more. Many video and audio examples of the instructor's work are used in the class and each student receives over 350 pages of handouts including over 200 pages of scores from actual films for study and analysis. Hummie is an active film composer with over 20 years experience in the business. His credits include films such as "Robin Hood: Men in Tights", "Thomas and the Magic Railroad", and IMAX's "Cyberworld 3D". More information and audio samples of his work is available at http://www.hummiemann.com

Besides the 2 core classes, students choose 2 elective classes - one for each week - all taught by industry professionals. The full list of elective choices are available on our website and differ for each location of the class. Seattle electives include: Songwriting for Film, Composing for Interactive Games, Finale (notation software), Digital Performer and Logic (midi sequencing software) and Classic Film Scores (a survey of the history of film scoring). As mentioned above, a GPO elective will be offered in both the Scotland and the Seattle program. Gary Garritan and team will be teaching the GPO course in Seattle.

This program is extremely popular and has limited space available, so it is recommended that you register early.

More details are available at: http://www.pnwfilmmusic.com

Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program
    hummie@pnwfilmmusic.com (please no spammers!!)
    800/546-8611
    I highly recommend this course to every GPO users who want to learn the art and craft of film scoring. Hummie's knowledge and experience makes him uniquely qualified to offer these film scoring classes which are highly regarded in the industry. If you are interested, let Hummie know I sent you.

Gary Garritan

Re: Pacific NW Film Scoring Programs this Summer

I took this course last year. It was great, I will make my top 10 list of things I did last summer during the course in Seattle.

10. Enjoying the Fabulous seafood and wine!
    9. Enjoying the beautiful city, that is Seattle
    8. Seeing the Red Sox play against the Mariners (Red Sox lost on a walk off home run.....arghghgh)
    7. Meeting Howard Shore and sitting in on a dress rehearsal of "Lord of the Rings" as performed by the Seattle Symphony Orchestra
    6. Taking a great "History of Film Music" course
    5. Meeting Gary Garritan during his GPO presentation to the class
    4.Hummie Mann's classes
    3.Watching some great movies and analyzing the score in the evenings with Hummie and the entire class
    2. Meeting the diverse and interesting people in the course, including Amanda from Australia
    1. Getting married to Amanda 5 months after we met on the PNWFS course!!

WHAT A GREAT 2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dubaifox
    1. Getting married to Amanda 5 months after we met on the PNWFS course!!
    Somwhow I doubt the average attendee could ever match your wonderful experience!

Congrats!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Arrow Re: Pacific NW Film Scoring Programs this Summer

I wanted to add to the thread that Gary Garritan has agreed to teach an elective class for the Seattle based program this Summer, so participants will get a chance to learn directly from the man who created GPO. I plan on auditing the class myself.

I will check this thread from time to time so if anyone has questions about the program, I can answer them here.

Also, Gary and I have been brainstorming about more educational collaborations that he and I can do together to benefit all GPO users, so watch for some future announcements as we start to roll out some of these ideas.

Hummie Mann

www.pnwfilmmusic.com
    www.hummiemann.com

I took the program last year in Edimburgh and I only have to say that this is really a must!

Hummie is an incredible teacher, full of energy, patience!!, knowledge, skills, and humor!

Any comments, technique, advices he taught us have been EXTREMELY helpful all this year I have been working...

I met some excellent people and had a lot of fun (though I didn't find my future wife, that I have to say ), but maybe some had

The city is also an excellent place to stay, during the summer festival

(Remember not to eat haggis before the harmony class.....)

It's good to c u here, Hummie Good luck this year!

Iván

It sounds like a fantastic program and I´ll be in Seattle then .

However, I think the cost is prohibitive for me.

Is it possible to sign up for a course or two for a lower price?

Quote Originally Posted by Hummie
    I wanted to add to the thread that Gary Garritan has agreed to teach an elective class for the Seattle based program this Summer, so participants will get a chance to learn directly from the man who created GPO. I plan on auditing the class myself.

I will check this thread from time to time so if anyone has questions about the program, I can answer them here.

Also, Gary and I have been brainstorming about more educational collaborations that he and I can do together to benefit all GPO users, so watch for some future announcements as we start to roll out some of these ideas.

Hummie Mann

www.pnwfilmmusic.com
    www.hummiemann.com
    Welcome to the forum Hummie!

Your film scoring classes are invaluable for those working with samples libraries and virtual instruments. Having sat through some classes I found it amazing how much knowledge you impart in a short amount of time. Everyone I spoke with who took the program raves about it.

Gary Garritan

Wow, Hummie Mann in our midst.

<bows humbly> We're not worthy...

Welcome to the forum... it's an honour for us!
    Steve A. Gallant

www.SteveGallant.com

Arrggh! I wish that I could go. After all, Seattle is just up the road a bit from where I live. I could take the two weeks off work, except that my wife has aleady planned a summer vacation around the two weeks just before this seminar. And I just cannot afford to take more time off work. Arrrgggh!

On a similar note, however, I just purchased, about 4 weeks ago, four books on film score writing. (From a bookstore in Studio City, CA.) Not that I will ever be able to write a film score, mind you.

Good luck to all those who will attend!

David

Glad to be part of the forum. I don't usually do these kind of things, but Gary's software has attracted so many talented people, that I figured I would check it out.

A few comments about the responses in the forum.

I have tried to keep the costs as low as possible and I know that it will still be outside some peoples ranges. I get a lot of e-mails asking aout scholarships and wish that I could offer some, but this class gets no outside support - the tuition pays for all the teachers, equipment and facilities. Also, the process of picking the recipients would be tough. I did give the winner of Gary's competition a scholarship to either of the Summer programs - I believe that he will be coming to the Edinburgh classes. i do hope that not too many people stay away because of the cost.

And regarding not being able to become a film composer - in the last 3 years 18 graduates of the program (FS1 - 4) have scored feature films. 2 students had television series running last year. Please check out the website for students achievements and also you can hear tracks that were recorded by the class on the Gallery page.

http://www.pnwfilmmusic.com

Go Back to forum