• Register
  • Help

Topic: Microtuning - opinions on best softsampler

Microtuning - opinions on best softsampler

Hi, I have friend who has asked me the following question re microtuning. I wondered if someone could shed some light on this?:

". They [the clients] use a lot of microtuning and would like to find a software sampler (that will run on a laptop, ideally) that will give them 1 cent resolution plus the ability to map these very fine changes to the keys on a keyboard. They are into temperament tuning, dynamic tuning, you-name-it tuning and I wondered whether Gigasampler might be a good choice or whether you had any suggestions."

Any input would be appreciated. Which soft sampler handles this best? Thanks...

Re: Microtuning - opinions on best softsampler

Well , Kontakt 1.53 already has some microtuned templates in there. But with K2 i think you could do some pretty accurate microtuning stuff with the Scripting feature...Plus its VST so its easy to run on 1 laptop. Also Absynth 3 has some amazing microtuning possiblilities and templates and although its not a sampler per se, you can load and record samples into it. With GS and you might have to dedicate your whole laptop to it...

I'm fairly certain you can use Scala with most samplers including Gigasampler/gigastudio.

I was experimenting with microtuning using Gigasampler a while back myself. Good for quick mockups but its 1 cent resolution is a little rough. I ended up pitch shifting the samples in Sound Forge which give 1/10 of a cent resolution. But if you refer to Wilkinson's or Carlos' tables, they use 1/100 of a cent resolution.

first you need exactly pitched samples, before you can pitch 1/10 of a cent!
    Tipp: The Xsample library is pitched with such a high resolution. There are many tuning templates you can find in the programms of all instruments (Vol.1 - Vol. 13).

Hans Josef

Thanks guys. I think GS3 or K2 are going to do the job.

Have a look into Independence by Yellow Tools - a mighty sampler IMHO! Mac only so far, but PC version in planning.

Go Back to forum