• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How much does "aftertouch" play ...

Share/Bookmark

Question How much does "aftertouch" play ...

a role in programming? Since my current controller doesn't have after touch should I look for one that has it and if so, how important is this feature to programming?
    Styxx

Re: How much does "aftertouch" play ...

You might just want to have it when the big band blossoms onto the scene. You might find it to be a big bandaid.

Karl

Hmmm, forgot all about the Jazz Big Band Lib! Thanks.
    Styxx

Rather than getting another keyboard with aftertouch (88 keys + mod wheel + aftertouch = lotsamoollah) I am thinking of getting a separate midi controller like the Evolution uc-33e to control, amongst many other things, aftertouch.

Opinions anyone?
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    Rather than getting another keyboard with aftertouch (88 keys + mod wheel + aftertouch = lotsamoollah) I am thinking of getting a separate midi controller like the Evolution uc-33e to control, amongst many other things, aftertouch.

Opinions anyone?
    Richard, are you saying with a keyboard controller "without" aftertouch can be use with this unit and subsequently "have" aftertouch? Because, I read the description but I did see anything stating "aftertouch" or is that part of the programming later. Sorry, I really never used aftertouch before so I am ignorant as to how one controls with a unit like this. Man, if I don't have to spend mega moollah on a new keyboard I'd be very happy! I was thinking about purchasing the Novation 61.
    Styxx

Just to make it a little more confusing...

There are two types of "aftertouch," polyphonic, and channel. Polyphonic aftertouch sends streaming aftertouch information for every note currently being held. It allows you to have different values for each note in a chord on one midi channel. It can also choke your sequencer with data overload, and many people shy away from it.

The more common type is channel aftertouch, which sends a single stream of data for any one channel. This is much less data-intensive at the expense of some control. Many keyboards have channel aftertouch only (mine does).

As for a seperate controller adding aftertouch data, it seems to me it could only handle the latter type. Not that I've ever needed poly aftertouch, but you should know about it nonetheless.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Well you can always draw in aftertouch data after recording a track, just as you can with mod wheel data.

Or you could map another controller (knob, slider) to send aftertouch data.

Having aftertouch as a feature on your hardware controller just gives you immediate access to it as a gesture of expression. I don't quite know what Karl is hinting at , but I suppose the Big Band library might attach some sort of effect to pressing down a key for aftertouch after the initial press. Say, you press a key and it plays a trumpet note, but then if you put more pressure on it the note does a "shake".

Mind you, that's just speculation on my part: Karl is the cagey one here! "Big band-aid" indeed!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

For those who don't know about aftertouch, it works like this. Once a key is struck and you are holding it down during the sustain, you can control the timbre or some other parameter of an instrument by pressing more firmly on the key. The harder you press, the more engaged this effect becomes. You usually have to press down relatively hard to engage this, and as with most programmable parameters, if the instrument you are playing isn't programmed to respond to it you don't have to be concerned. Obviously, you must have a keyboard that implaments this feature.

An example might be that you could control say some brass mute samples, where the player can disengage the mute at different times (the original "wahwah" effect). Sometime you might want the sound to be "OOOOOW", In this case there would be no aftertouch involved. But the player is capable of changing that "OOOOOW" into an "AAAAH", so during the duration of the note, you would do this on the keyboard by pressing harder on the key anytime after the initial attack. You might want to play "OOWAAAAAAAH", or "OOOOOOOWAAH." Cool stuff!

This is easy to do with a keyboard that has aftertouch, since you are doing it while you are playing. With an external devise it seems to me that it would be almost mandatory that the controlling wheel or knob or slider be spring loaded so that you wouldn't have to reset the aftertouch data parameters after each note played. It might be easier to just draw them in after you've entered the notes.

BTW, I have no clue if this is how the GPO Big Band, Small Band, Rubber Band or any other band would work, just a hunch that this is how it could work if womeone wanted it too.

It is expensive for keyboard manufacturers to implement aftertouch, so you will usually find it only on more expensive keyboards, but I think that with the complexity of the modern sample libraries, we might just need it. I'm sure glad I still have my 18-year-old Yamaha KX88, for the aftertouch works like a charm.

Karl

Well Karl that sure makes sense to me if I can control the much-desired mute effects of horns using aftertouch, then it would seem quite worth it.
    Styxx

And I'll just point out again that my TenCrazy.com MFX CC Map and Control Cascade plugins will allow you to map aftertouch to any exposed parameter!

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Go Back to forum