• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New study shows that forum people is stupider...

Share/Bookmark

Talking New study shows that forum people is stupider...

...hehe.

Listening to an office-friendly station here at work instead of my regular RAWK \m/ and they just cited a report which concluded that the employees that post to forums and chat on IM messengers while at work have lower IQs than their fellow workers who are not posting.

I don't have the report to link to but I'm sure one of our info-savvy friends here will be able to dig it up via google.

I would think it should be the opposite, those posting and surfing and chatting, IMO, seem like they would be more intelligent given they are reading more, staying up to date and having thought provoking conversations throughout the day. But hey, what do I know, I post all the time, and I'm discussing this topic with three seperate people on MSN and AIM while I'm supposed to be crunching the new figures for our latest grant.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Re: New study shows that forum people is stupider...

Daaahhhhhhhhhhhh
    Styxx

I think that people who post extensively on forums might have a lower -social- IQ ( EG : Talking to chicks on the road with ease, making new "real friends" etc ) .

You just start slowly spacing out of the real world when you spend too much time on computer(s) ... Which is where a wife might come handy ; to remind you to eat, talk ,sleep, shave and ....be human.
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

There was a similar survey on show in one of the national papers here in Britain a while back that reckoned about 2/3rds of committed forum folk are agro/social phobics who find it hard to carry out a decent conversation. I'd love to know how they draw their conclusions!.

I don't think the low IQ thing applies to people who involve themselves in this sort of artistic/technical forum where you need to keep your wits about you to keep up with what's what. Its probably more aimed at the soap opera and reality TV fans. I could be wrong though

Well, I bet if you could somehow collect ALL of the posts on all of the forums on the internet and gauge the stupidity level of those posts - you might come up with 75% stupid posts. I guess it might follow that the posters generally have lower IQs. Still, there are many forums like this one that are MOSTLY made up of intelligent conversation. I'd guess that IQs around here might be a bit higher than average. (With some exceptions)

Social IQ's hard to judge based on forum behaviour. It's strange how differently people sometimes behave on forums/chats. Surly behaviour sure seems to be a lot more common on the net than it is in real life. If I went to the store and asked a fellow shopper if they happened to know where I'd find the sugar, and they responded - 'Read the signs over the aisles you f#$king idoit! It says 'baking supplies' over aisle 4 you dumb ~~~~~hole'... I'd be shocked, but on a forum/chat - not uncommon behaviour. I don't know what it is about anonymity that makes people act like that.
    Dane Hawkes DiAnda
    C. I. Studios

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkes
    If I went to the store and asked a fellow shopper if they happened to know where I'd find the sugar, and they responded - 'Read the signs over the aisles you f#$king idoit! It says 'baking supplies' over aisle 4 you dumb ~~~~~hole'... I'd be shocked
    Guess that explains why I got fired from my part-time student job then

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    ...hehe.

I would think it should be the opposite, those posting and surfing and chatting, IMO, seem like they would be more intelligent given they are reading more, staying up to date and having thought provoking conversations throughout the day. But hey, what do I know, I post all the time, and I'm discussing this topic with three seperate people on MSN and AIM while I'm supposed to be crunching the new figures for our latest grant.
    There are 2 sides to this. You can get addicted to chat rooms and forums and forget about the things God put in your backyard. People use them to pass the time of day. Those may not be the wise ones.

But forums like this there seems to be a general topic we all have in common with people of many experiences makes this a gold mine of knowledge. Those
    who seek knowledge are far from stupid.

There's a website called redvsblue.com. They make these videos with characters from Halo. They made this video about real life and online. It was quite funny and very truthful.

Wha'ts a study?

Lightbulb Re: New study shows that forum people is stupider...

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    But forums like this there seems to be a general topic we all have in common with people of many experiences makes this a gold mine of knowledge. Those
    who seek knowledge are far from stupid.
    Could be a misinterpretation. It's not that only stupid people post on forums (except NS), But posting on forums lowers your ICue

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lastufka
    ...hehe.

Listening to an office-friendly station here at work instead of my regular RAWK \m/ and they just cited a report which concluded that the employees that post to forums and chat on IM messengers while at work have lower IQs than their fellow workers who are not posting.
    It's been cited wrongly. I heard it on the news and it's not about having a lower I.Q. but about being less focused and thus less productive (making more mistakes).

------------
    Alex Cremers

Go Back to forum