• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: House bill - Up to 3 years in prison for illegally distributing unreleased material

Share/Bookmark

House bill - Up to 3 years in prison for illegally distributing unreleased material

Sample Pirates Beware!

A new bill, which passed on Tuesday by the House, proposes up to 3 years in prison for anyone who electronically distributes software or songs that have not been released to the public, or movies that haven't been released on video or DVD.

http://www.newsday.com/business/ny-b...ness-headlines

The bill, awaiting the president's signature, calls for up to 3 years' imprisonment for anyone who illegally distributes a copyrighted work for profit, distributes pirated material or videotapes movies in theaters. Subsequent offenses carry up to 10 years in prison for copyright infringement of pre-release material for financial gain.

Unreleased sample libraries may be subject to the bill.

The sample police will hunt them down !

Re: House bill calls for up to 3 years in prison for illegally distributing unreleased ma

...And "Big Ted" in Cell Block C thinks software pirates are real cute .

"So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Talking Re: House bill - Up to 3 years in prison for illegally distributing unreleased materi

Yeah well do the crime do the time. However, all I can say about Pirates is,

Have you heard about the new pirate movie?
    Its rated AARRRRGGH!

This pirate walks into a bar with a big ship's wheel down his pants. The bartender says, "Excuse me, sir, but do you know you have a ship's wheel down the front of your pants?"
    And the pirate says...
    Aaargh, it's driving me nuts!!

How much did the pirate pay to get his ears pierced?
    a buccaneer

Arrrrrrrrrrrrr me movies!

How much did the pirate pay to get his ears pierced?
    a buccaneer

What's a pirate's favorite mode of transportation?
    A cAARRRRGGH!

what's a pirate's favorite letter of the alphabet?
    arrrr

what's a pirate's favorite kind of socks?
    arrrrgyle

what is a pirates favorite study subject?
    arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt.

what's a pirate's second-choice job?
    an arrrrrrchitect!

A little kid with a speech impediment dresses up as a pirate and goes trick or treating. he knocks on the door of a house and a man answers. "oh, i can see you're dressed up as a pirate." the man says. "but where are your buccaneers?" the kid gets really mad, and says "on the sides of my buckin' head!"
    Styxx

Re: House bill - Up to 3 years in prison for illegally distributing unreleased material

The thing I find surprising about the whole business of intellectual property in the Internet age is that in the public eye, it's a very unpopular stance to be a supporter of intellectual property rights. People who are otherwise good, honest and hard working folks somehow think that part of their civil rights is the right to download software, songs, movies, and yes, probably even sample libraries for free, regardless of whether it's a commercial product or not. Somehow, they feel that they're entitled to it, and therefor anyone who says otherwise is labeled as being an Establishment Stoogie or Extremely Uncool.

You can bet that this legislation will meet with a huge public outcry about how unfair it is. Honestly, I just don't get it...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: House bill - Up to 3 years in prison for illegally distributing unreleased material

Another problem is that a lot of people (including judges) don't consider music intellectual property. That makes me want to keep my music all to my self and never let anyone hear it.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: House bill calls for up to 3 years in prison for illegally distributing unreleased ma

Quote Originally Posted by Brian2112
    ...And "Big Ted" in Cell Block C thinks software pirates are real cute .

Ah, that Big Ted . . . he makes death row seem like a pleasure.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: House bill - Up to 3 years in prison for illegally distributing unreleased materi

This seems a bit strange to me.

Traditionally, companies pursue stuff like this in civil court. They claim specific damages, and then go after them.

Then there's theft. If you walk out of your employer's building with a PC under your arm, they call the local cops and prosecute you for theft. They don't call the FBI. It's a state/local matter.

I guess that if you distribute the material electronically - meaning over the Internet - then it goes across state and federal borders and becomes a federal crime.

The other angle is that this is a form of copyright violation. But, again, copyright cases are generally civil suits.

It seems a strange federal law. Not that I support media piracy at all. I don't. But I like that the Constitution limits the police powers of the fedeal government. Shouldn't this be handled by states, or in civil court?

-JF

Re: House bill - Up to 3 years in prison for illegally distributing unreleased materi

On the same subject...

Gary - did you get my email about someone blatently selling (what on the face of it appeared to be*) pirated copies of GPO on ebay, and claiming that they were legally entitled to?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

*just keeping the legal department happy
    Richard N.

Finale 2003 to 2007 ~ Garritan GPO, JABB & Strad ~ Sonar 6PE ~ Kontakt 2 ~ WinXP Home SP2

Athlon XP 2200 ~ 1.5 Gb RAM ~ M-Audio Sound Card ~ M-Audio 88ES MIDI keyboard ~ Evolution MK-461C

Bach Strad LT16MG, LT36G, 42B + B&H Sovereign Studio Tenor Trombones ~ Holton 181 Bass Trombone ~ Getzen Bass Trumpet ~ Yamaha TR4335G Trumpet ~ B&H Euphonium

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    You can bet that this legislation will meet with a huge public outcry about how unfair it is. Honestly, I just don't get it...
    Well I tend to say that this sort of legislation is unfair because the government really doesn't understand intellectual property, and thus lobbyists can push through whatever ambiguous wording to the law that they desire.

These laws *should* be worded precisely and with an eye towards the entire breadth of the industry, not just corporate focus groups that have the money to grease the wheels of government. Additionally, the US government should begin to understand that they do not own the amorphous entity known as "the Internet" (which they only have a misguided Cliff's Notes understanding of), and that their laws will not stop what they intend to stop.

Powerful men are not necessarily wise, knowledgable, or prudent men. Most are of an age gone by and don't understand the importance of what is brought before them. If they are told "American companies will lose money if this is not passed", then they will pass the bill at face value... along with any other secret riders and vague language it entails.

This will eventually bite *all* musicians in the arse. Soon a composer will be unable to distribute his own works for free, so far as the letter of the law goes, thanks to the DMCA and its decendants. Mind, without an organization or label prosecuting the issue there will be no harm, but by the books a crime will be committed.

Yes, the public is also a reprehensible lot of ignorant gimme-gimme consumers who believe everything should be free, but it's the people in between that are going to suffer. A group of moneyed old men will not protect us from this. Only informed and in-touch lawmakers can protect our best interests with an eye towards an emerging "international jurisdiction".

It's an entirely different game than it used to be.

- m
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard N.
    On the same subject...

Gary - did you get my email about someone blatently selling (what on the face of it appeared to be*) pirated copies of GPO on ebay, and claiming that they were legally entitled to?
    Yes, I got your email Richard and thanks very much. This is clearly illegal and the perpetrator will be reported to the UK authorities. I also contacted ebay to alert them of this blantant piracy.

Go Back to forum