• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Apple claims 3x more plug-ins...

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Apple claims 3x more plug-ins...

http://www.apple.com/powermac/performance/

The new G5 apple computers can play approx 3x more plug-ins than the Pentium 4....

thoughts?

Re: Apple claims 3x more plug-ins...

LOL! The plugins are all reverbs!
    Probably specially coded to take advantage of the G5s.
    If you want to run 200 reverb plugins then I guess a dual 2.7Ghz G5 is your machine.
    If this wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

if it can run 200 reverb plug-ins, then YES this will be my machine

With all due respect to my many good friends at Apple/Emagic, I was really disappointed that they posted this totally bogus test today. It's embarassing for them to do this and I think they should pull it immediately.

To do an accurate test between real-world use of Macs and PCs, you obviously have to use the same software on both systems!!!

They don't even list the reverb plug-in they used to compare on the PC side. The Mac side is most likely Platinumverb on Logic 7, since this has become a kind of "de-facto" measuring standard for Mac processor performance....but of course, they couldn't have tested Platinumverb on the PC Cubase system....since Platinumverb is not a cross-platform VST plug-in!

But every reverb plug-in has wildly different CPU demands. To do an accurate test of processor performance, you'd need to do a fair A/B with the same plug-ins, same patches and same source....identical files.

They could have easily done this too. There are plenty of cross-platform reverb plugs and cross-platform hosts (Cubase SX, Ableton Live, Pro Tools, etc). Using cross platform software playing identical files is the only way to do a fair test.

I'm amazed that they would post that. They did a similar bogus test in a Macworld keynote with one of BTs songs and it crashed Cubase SX (just some silly theater that any pros rolled their eyes at)....but it's another thing entirely to post charts up like this in a kind of "scientific benchmarking" way. Lame beyond belief!

Can you imagine how many people would freak out if they didn't use photoshop on both systems for the graphic rendering tests?

The G5s are wonderful machines, and they don't need to resort to that unfair silliness to make them look great.

Disappointing.

spectrum

True, Spectrum. Anyhow, we all know that it's not the number of plug-ins that counts... it's what you do with them!

Thumbs down Re: Apple claims 3x more plug-ins...

Looks like they removed the info that Cubase SX was used on the PC side....it was up there earlier today.

So now it looks even more ridiculous. Doesn't even say what was used for the PC side....except that they tested Logic 7.

Maybe that means they have Logic 7 for the PC side now?

Come on guys!

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa
    True, Spectrum. Anyhow, we all know that it's not the number of plug-ins that counts... it's what you do with them!
    Absolutely!

spectrum

Actually, my reaction was that there's not much difference between a dual 2.3 and dual 2.7. So I just ordered a dual 2.5 refurb.

And I personally am not the least bit interested in running even a single Platinumverb! Trot out some real men's stuff if you're going to do a comparison. How many Waves IR1s can you run? Put up Kontakt 2 and see how many voices you get off the same disk subsystem.

[QUOTE=Nick Batzdorf]Actually, my reaction was that there's not much difference between a dual 2.3 and dual 2.7. So I just ordered a dual 2.5 refurb.

Where did you get it? I was thinking of doing the same thing.

They have refurb models at dealmac.com, among other places as well I suppose.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast