• Register
  • Help

Topic: Has anyone checked out FXpansion's Guru is like RMX?

Share/Bookmark

Has anyone checked out FXpansion's Guru is like RMX?

Hey I am just wondering if Guru is like RMX or is RMX a totally different beast?
    I am looking at Guru and thinking it's pretty cool since it will be able to at one point handle all the Dr008 kits I have, but I am also thinking maybe Guru is just like RMX or maybe RMX is even more then Guru. Anyone's thoughts?
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Re: Has anyone checked out FXpansion's Guru is like RMX?

Hi StrangeCat,

Whilst they both relate to the same part of the musical genre spectrum (dance, hip hop, electronica, breakbeats..), their methods of working are pretty different.

GURU is primarily intended as a tool for people who want to program their own beats quickly and conveniently, rather than starting you with ready-made beats and then giving you options to mash them in to new shapes. Whilst it does come with a pretty good library (of audio loops, single-shots, multisamples and midi patterns), the library is not the main selling point. It's intended to be a modern, software-based equivalent to the classic MPCs and x0x drum boxes.

It's kinda hard to pin down really, as it has some features in common with Phatmatik/Intakt-style beat slicers, some with drumsamplers like Battery/DR-008, some with RMX and other loop-library-based instruments, and some with FL-Studio/Fruityloops/Microtonic and other drum sequence programmers. On the other hand, it doesn't do *everything* that any one of those can do.. we tried to figure out which features were most important and useful, and then make those as convenient as possible, rather than sticking to any of the established genres for these products (considering that, to an extent, those genres exist more for technical and marketing reasons than for musical ones).

Here's a snippet of what it can do.. this is all a single instance of Guru running inside Cubase SX.. the host was used only to automate pattern changes (GURU doesn't have a "song mode" just yet) and record the output to disk.

http://www.fxpansion1.com/demotunes/...tive_Stomp.mp3

We have a board over at KvR if you have questions specifically about GURU; can't really expect any unbiased third party comparisons with other products until we actually ship it at the end of next month (anyone that has GURU right now is either one of our employees, or a beta tester).

HTH,
    Angus.
    Angus F. Hewlett, CEO
    FXpansion Audio [www.fxpansion.com]

Re: Has anyone checked out FXpansion's Guru is like RMX?

Thanks a lot for the reply! I have been checking out Guru and it looks very very cool^_* Also reading that you will create a tool to able to use Dr008 kits is a very good idea. Yea sounds great too. I'll keep an eye on it and check out KVR again
    Thanks
    All I can Say is...HA!...HA!...HAAAAAAA!!!!!

Go Back to forum