• Register
  • Help

Topic: the reverb

the reverb

the audio mixing tutorial is one of the best tutorials Ive ever read, so congratulations for that, its really awesome,
    now, however I think there is much much need for that future tutorial dedicated exclusively to reverb, - ive read about so many wonderful things in this forum over the last months and Ive learnt loads with them, but the only thing that has still not been explained well and clearly is reverb for orchestral work - in the audio mixing tutorial which again is wonderful there is just a very small overview of it, but we really need in my opinion, I at least I need, somebody to come and tell me

- well, to make your composition , orchestral, big orchestral GPO composition, to make it sound as if it is in an acoustic space that resembles a concert hall, to transform that - Dry lifeless- sound into an exciting vibrating concert hall space, and following my experience I would recommend that you use any of these setups

- if u use the ambience plug in, then choose the preset whatever, and then set up your instruments as sends, and use this amount for strings, this for brass, this for winds, and this for timpani, this for whatever, etc

- if u use the SIR reverb, then do this do that etc etc

etc etc

one of the things I want to point out is that for example as an answer to one of my previous questions I was told that i should use 50% reverb on strings, 65 on wind, almost full on horns etc, etc, I mean, thats all very nice to understand the proportion differences between them, but that doesnt have much practical use, because the effect of those amounts will be completely different depending on the actual reverb we are using and the preset of the reverb we are using, thats why I need somebody , an expert that has been using GPO for a long time and is an expert in reverb, I need that person to come and tell me, look, I can make it sound like an orchesthra when I use this reverb (ambience for example) set to this preset (whatever) , the preset has this data (whatever) , and then strings send this amount, brass whatever, then harp only this, timpani that, cymbals whatever, etc, etc, so a complete integrated proposal of usage of reverb , I mean, that shouldnt be too difficult, people must have done it already, so why not just say look, this is what I do, this data, this reverb, this preset, these amounts, etc,etc

I wish that the coming reverb tutorial will be something of this kind, at least thats the only thing that I find practical, sound engineering and mixing is a very complex art and topic, we can talk in fuzzy ways and vaguely about it for years and yet not be able to do anything decent in practice, and for people like me whose weak point is in that area, we need somebody to give us a real hand by helping us to set that crucial stage of the reverb with clear cut and complete steps because we just cant compose great and also become great sound engineers in a few months, at least I cant

thanks again for your help, for this wonderful forum, for the awesome sound mixing tutorial and for all the great friendly people in here

Re: the reverb

another question

so do u think that the SIR reverb is a better option than the ambience plugin? does it need more CPU resources or is similar in that? could somebody compare for me these two options, ambience plugin and SIR please, advantages and drawbacks

also Ive been told that there are a few impulses that were sent as email attachments or something like that, where could I get these impulses for the SIR? thanks so much

one more doubt

I use nuendo, in a PC pentium 4 3.2 ghz with 2 gigabytes of RAM,
    so when Im composing I do it without the reverb active, because if I have the reverb active in tuttis and all, the cracks come the computer cant cope, so seems obvious that we should compose without the reverb active, however once u activate the reverb then the relative levels of instruments change as the amount of reverb increases more or less the levels of each channel (if u give different amount of reverb to different instruments or sets of instruments)
    so 2 things I dont yet understand are:

- do u apply one reverb to the whole thing, or one amount to strings, another to brass, another to winds, etc, etc, yes seems that we want to do the second thing all right, Im doing the second thing now, different amounts of the same reverb for each send, channel, instrument, etc

- but then it would make sense to compose with the reverb active because only then u can see the differences in volumes that will be real afterwards,

- however if u cannot do that because the computer cannot cope in tuttis, then what do u do

so tell me your experience please, do u compose with all dry, or with reverb on, and if

- if u compose all dry, then when u put the reverb later (using different amounts for different groups) dont u get in trouble because the relative levels of the different groups change and then the thing just doesnt sound balanced? plus dont u get clipping and cracks that u couldnt know they would happen before because the reverb increases the levels

- and if u compose with the reverb on wet, dont u get problems because in tuttis etc the computer cannot cope with the thing sometimes, even in good equipment, I have 2 gigs ram pentium 4 3.2 ghz nuendo, and I can get this problem in full and partial tuttis

thanks for any help

Go Back to forum