• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need Help Quickly...

Share/Bookmark

Need Help Quickly...

As a Mac user, I'm very green with the PC.

I run a P4 with Windows XP, intel motherboard, and am having very odd problems. Right now, it seems impossible to launch some programs without the computer restarting.

Giga, VSL Performance Tool, Pro Tools LE, all crash after double clicking. PTrools LE was just installed last night and did it immediately.

However, other programs, such as GsLoadtime, Address Book, Adobe, etc, all launch just fine.

I need Giga up and running and I have to get to the bottom of this. This computer was built for me, and ran fine for months. Only the VSL Performance tool used to crash it, and I read in the VSL forum of someone else having that same problem. He got around it by launching GIGA first, then quitting, THEN launching VSL tool. I did that and it seemed to work for me too. But now I can't even launch GIGA.

I know Hyperthreading is turned off. Otherwise, I'm not sure of system settings I should check.

There is a chance that my motherboard is bad, since we noticed that two of the drives connected directly to it are not seen, and we had to put in a SATA card and run them off that. So maybe the board is faulty, but then why would it launch some things, and not others?

Any ideas, directions for troubleshooting, etc, really appreciated.

Tom

Re: Need Help Quickly...

Hey Tom..

Looks like you could use a formating and total reinstall of windows! ( the joys of pc's )

either you've got too many programs installed, or have bad sound card drivers, that' be my main guess.

hmm you don't have that P4 overclocked eh? that'll do the exact same for my system..

P

N

Also I would say the biggest question is, what kind of sound card are you using?? Make sure you've got the latest and best drivers for it, and also it will help to check your motherboard bios version.... Check when the pc first turns on to see which version you have now.

With adding new hard-drives, you've gotta format them befor you can use them... try windows explorer.

Also on pc's make sure you've downloaded all the critical updates from microsoft. This especially helps if your using firewire cards..

hope this helps

P

N

When your system boots up to you get a screen for the FastTrak Controller before Windows loads. 2 of the SATA ports are part of the 865 chipset. The other 2 use an addon onboard controller (FastTrak). The controller must be enabled in the BIOS plus it needs to be configured to see the 2 hard drives. If it's disabled or lost its configuration info, then it will not see the 2 extra drives.

To stop Windows XP from rebooting if it encounters an error, you need to right click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Advanced tab, click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section. Then uncheck the Automatic restart under the System Failure section. Then hit OK to back out. Hopefully then you'll be able to see the error messages that popup when Giga starts. It's possible that the Giga service is not starting immediately but you won't know unless you can get some error details.

You need to verify that you don't have in IRQ conflicts between the SATA controller, sound card and video card. Usually you can move cards to other slots to resolve the IRQ issues.

Please note that the addon SATA controller cards usually don't work as well as the onboard controllers because they have to go through the PCI bus. Remember that the sound card is also on this bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    When your system boots up to you get a screen for the FastTrak Controller before Windows loads. 2 of the SATA ports are part of the 865 chipset. The other 2 use an addon onboard controller (FastTrak). The controller must be enabled in the BIOS plus it needs to be configured to see the 2 hard drives. If it's disabled or lost its configuration info, then it will not see the 2 extra drives.

To stop Windows XP from rebooting if it encounters an error, you need to right click on My Computer, select Properties, click on the Advanced tab, click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section. Then uncheck the Automatic restart under the System Failure section. Then hit OK to back out. Hopefully then you'll be able to see the error messages that popup when Giga starts. It's possible that the Giga service is not starting immediately but you won't know unless you can get some error details.

You need to verify that you don't have in IRQ conflicts between the SATA controller, sound card and video card. Usually you can move cards to other slots to resolve the IRQ issues.

Please note that the addon SATA controller cards usually don't work as well as the onboard controllers because they have to go through the PCI bus. Remember that the sound card is also on this bus.
    Thanks to all for this advice. I am REALLY a novice on the PC.

I DID however, go up and uncheck the "AUTOMATICALLY RESTART" option, so at least I will see some error messages I guess.

When the "Geek Squad" at Best Buy tried to fix this so the 2 drives were recognized, they couldn't get it to see the drives either. But who knows if they knew what to do. I am not familiar with the BIOS area (seen but forgot how to get to it) and wouldn't know how to tell it anything.

Interestingly, today I left the PC on for about an HOUR before trying to launch GIGA. It then launched OK, as did PERF Tool. Don't know whether I was just lucky or what.

I am using a Frontier WAVECENTER card, and I can go check to get the latest update (via my Mac which is on the net, then burn a CD with driver on it). But I'm not sure how you update the driver, if indeed there is a newer version. How do I find out what version I have of the driver?

Thanks
    Tom

I wouldn't trust letting Best Buy techs touch my machines as they are usually young kids without much experience.

You can access the BIOS by hitting F2 when the computer first starts booting. If you do it too early, you may get a keyboard error. Just reboot and try a little bit later. Once your in the BIOS, goto the Advanced Menu, then to the Drive Configuration menu. The Drive Mode needs to be set to Enhanced. Look around to make sure that the controller is enabled. I don't have an Intel BIOS around so I'm not sure of some of the settings. Make sure you hit F10 to save your settings.

Check this link for more info on Intel 865 chipset boards: http://support.intel.com/support/mot...perl/index.htm

Go Back to forum