• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best for Traveling

Best for Traveling

Hello -

I am taking a new position where I will be traveling around the world most of the time. Are things at the point yet where you can have a good studio on one laptop?? Which one(s) is it and what sound cards do you need?

I have a decent set-up at home that is basically Cubase / Giga / Wavelab (on one PC). It has been solid as a rock, but the power of the computer pales in comparison to today's run-of-the-mill laptop.

I would probably want to stick with the newest versions of Cubase and Giga.

Thanks for suggestions -

Re: Best for Traveling

It's hard to say which laptops provide good low latency performance.

I bought an Acer Aspire 1500 with Athlon 64 3000 CPU about 1 year ago. Paid 1600 euros (1GB RAM, 60GB HD).
    The fact is that the latency with the builtin soundcard simply sucks. And you get lots pops and clicks with any app.

I did not buy it for audio work but I was disappointed anyway to see such a top of the line machine perform that badly.
    Perhaps using a firewire card or PCMCIA souncard (RME etc) would help but I would not bet on it. Probably the mainboard itself sucks.

A friend of mine told me that his Dell laptop (don't know the exact model, P4 based) performed well. Some HP laptops seems to do ok too.

I think the only way is to ask people (like here) that do heavy duty audio work with the laptop and then buy exact the same model.
    Blindly buying a "top of the line laptop" and assuming it will work well for audio work is like playing russian roulette, chances of getting an useless piece of iron are big.
    With desktop it's much harder to run into problematic hardware combinations (mainly motherboards).

You have been warned

Re: Best for Traveling

I'm trying to do some of the same things you are. (Going to be away from home for a while this summer, but will need to do some serious work.)

I started a thread on this topic which has been extremely helpful. Check it out and see if it benefits you.

Hope this is helpful.

Steven J. Kukla

Go Back to forum