• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Upgraded from 1Gig to 2Gigs RAM in GS3.04 Strange Result

Share/Bookmark

Upgraded from 1Gig to 2Gigs RAM in GS3.04 Strange Result

I recently upgraded from 1 gig of ram to 2 gigs. I understand that tweaks are often necessary to get the best use of increased ram. However, with 1 gig I was getting the use of a very large amount of the available ram. Now with 2 gigs I'm getting less use of the available RAM, and I'm not talking about the percentage. I'm pretty sure I was hitting at least 700 MB or so with 1 gig of RAM...now the best I can do with 2 gigs of RAM is about 412 MB. Why is that...I should at least have the same amount or loading capacity. Has anyone encountered this when upgrading RAM, and what did you do to correct the situating?

Thanks for the help.

And yes I've tried the built in optimizer.

Re: Upgraded from 1Gig to 2Gigs RAM in GS3.04 Strange Result

what chipset are you using? that happened to me too, see http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=33456

I'm running an Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard. I don't believe that is the same chipset, but it sounds like the same exact problem. Have you found any other solutions. And Honestly...I'd be happy if I got 50% at this point. What tweak did you do?

Unhappy Re: Upgraded from 1Gig to 2Gigs RAM in GS3.04 Strange Result

i haven't found any help yet, the best i could do is choosing tweak#4 and and before rebooting changing the setting to #1 (xp original). I think the root of our troubles is a value in the registry that simply doesn't exist in our systems, but unfortunately i don't know which one I can load about 60% now, and i am not messing any more with that because i am afraid i could break it again. The funny thing is that i never had any troubles with 2gig memory on my old system, that was very similar. Perhaps i am missing a windows update, had to reinstall Windows, and my music computer is not connected to the Internet.

I had blue screen crash problems once in a while when I installed 2 gigs in my GS3 computer. so I cut back to 1 gig and so far everything seems OK. I don't know what the deal is. There is another thread somewhere pertaining to this same problem. I also have a P4P800 Deluxe MB.

i tried also the memory optimizer here:
    http://henningson.triona.se/musikban...dio/memopt.htm

some settings gave me very strange results, like 2% available memory, perhaps it can work you your Comp. Try choosing different settings in the Matthias Henningson app and in Gigastudio, i am sure you will find a setting that will do the trick for you.

i would like to hear an official word on this, someday.......

i hope i could help
    Karin

Have you tried say 1.5 gigs to see what sort of results you get? I may try that if all else fails. 2 gigs is the worst set-up so far. I can't get it to match the load capacity of 1 gig.

You want to hear something a little bit stranger?

I just built a 2GB P4 machine for GS3...never tried it with 1GB though. I'm seeing the same thing you guys are experiencing. I've got the 3.04 patch but I didn't at first see the Memory Configuation setting where you can change your config using one of the supplied presets.

Anyway, it was always reporting 41% total avail for instrument loading... I thought that sucked. I've sent an e-mail to Tascam support yesterday but no word yet. Nevertheless I went on to create a performance using up most channels in 4 ports with some of the bundled samples (full orchestra mockup). I then saved the entire performance as a .gsp. (it's only using about 30% memory so I'm in no danger of hitting the ceiling there)

Later in the day after a fresh reboot, I discovered the memory configs and tried to use one the presets--after another requisite restart--it said I got up to 65% avail but no better. So then I loaded GS3 and tried to load my .gsp I saved earlier. GS3 crashed when it got to instrument 39 of 40. I restarted the machine and tried again--same result!

Okay... so then I tried switching back to the system default preset in the memory config window, rebooted, then tried to load that performance in GS3 and Presto!... it worked. What's up with that???

Is it that you can't load performances saved in different memory configurations or something?

Try this....if you have Nero InCD uninstall it, and then re-apply the tweaks...it worked for me.

I don't have Nero installed. This is brand new machine with nothing but the OS, audio drivers and GS3 installed.

I did find a memory config that seemed to work with this one .gsp file. But now it only reports 59% instead of 65% available.... (but still better than the 41% I got without any tweaks).

I used this GsMemoryLoadOptimizer.exe program from a Mattias Hennigson that came out a while back (don't remember the site but it was before the 3.03 update I think) to tweak my memory settings in XP. This is what I used:

PagedPoolQuota: 40 MB
    PagedPoolSize: 4000000 bytes
    NonPagedPoolQuota: 0 MB
    NonPagedPoolSize: 0 bytes

This was the 4th preset in this program (I'm not sure if it's the same as the 4th preset in GS3's memory optimizer or not). It seemed to work and it let me load a particularly large .gsp file without any problems. Any other memory configurations and I get the BSOD or a Unknown System Error in GS3.

Ben

Go Back to forum