• Register
  • Help

Topic: Panning question (GS3 and Sonar 4 PE user)

Share/Bookmark

Panning question (GS3 and Sonar 4 PE user)

If you've followed the thread about routing GigaPulse, then you are familliar with Jon Fairhurst's method. If not, read here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29088

Anyway, I use a toned-down version of his method by only opening one instance of GigaPulse (with medium hall) in one DSP group (3 instance makes my PC choke).

But here is my problem . . . some of the instruments that I have panned to the center sound like they are coming more from the right speaker. Also, my Glockenspiel is supposed to come from the left but sounds like it's in the right. I am using a panning scheme that more or less emulates a typical orchestra layout. Most of the instruments that I have routed to the left and right inputs are as they should be, but the ones that I routed to my center input sound like they are coming through my right speaker.

Just to be sure, here is my routing:

1) GS3 instruments from Midi mixer routed to one of three inputs . . .
    2) 3 inputs: 1,2 panned 80% left. 3,4 panned center. 5,6 panned 80% right. Each at 40% width
    3) All inputs routed to Group 1,2 which has the instance of GigaPulse on it; Medium Hall, True stereo, Left/right mics with one source --> Seat 5. This group has no panning adjustment.

In Sonar, all panning is set to center (and thus, all panning in GS3 Midi mixer is centered as well). The only panning control at this point is handled by the DSP inputs.

I've also double and triple checked to make sure that my instruments are being routed from the Midi mixer to the appropriate DSP input (where the panning takes place). My Glockenspiel is routed to Input 1,2 which is panned 80% left. My violins are routed to this input and sound like they are to the left. Same is true of my percussion. But for some reason the Glockenspiel sounds more like it's coming from the right (as well as my center instruments which includes brass and woodwinds).

Any idea where I'm screwing up?

Re: Panning question (GS3 and Sonar 4 PE user)

Have you tried setting the glock DSP channel to 1% width?....that way you could be sure that it's a pinpoint in the stereo field. I'd also pan the track in sonar, though I'm not sure what effect this has on the midi mixers out put....probably just functions as a balance control for the stereo samples.
    I say try these (one at a time) to see if the problem is somewhere in the several stages of stereo imaging within the 2 programs. If you turn off the gigapulse, pan/balance/width as I have suggested, and the problem persists, then it's time to get really confused....

Hope this helps
    Belbin

What is a "glock" DSP channel?

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by letterboy1
    What is a "glock" DSP channel?

Thanks for the help.
    My Glockenspiel is routed to Input 1,2 which is panned 80% left.
    Check into that and see what happens.
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Heh heh, I'll do that! Sorry for being dense.

Sorry for resurrecting null threads, but I have to take the blame for that one...my fault for being a geek. Sorry. Did it work out after?

Belbin

Go Back to forum