• Register
  • Help

Topic: K2 Script Question: triggering on program change

Share/Bookmark

K2 Script Question: triggering on program change

I'm exploring what it would take to catch program-change MIDI messages and translating them into keyswitched note-on/off messages.

The K2 scripting manual I have doesn't seem to acknowledge that a program select message even exists. Is this indeed true from the perspective of Kontakt 2?

I'm guessing the alternative is to watch the midi note on/off sequence and if there's not a big break between off/on pairs, switch to the slur/portamento instrument, and otherwise switch to the "other" instrument. If we had a time machine (or a slight delay in all sound so that our script could respond to a midi stream after-the-fact), we could use the same technique to generate a switch to staccato sounds, too.
    Andy Finkenstadt, WinXP, P4-2.8GHZ, 3GB, Sonar 4 PE, Sibelius 3. Yamaha CVP-79A.
    EWQL: Gold, GoldPro, Choirs, StormDrum. and Galaxy & Bosendorfer 290, and RealGuitar. And an empty bank account.

Re: K2 Script Question: triggering on program change

Quote Originally Posted by SimuAndy
    I'm exploring what it would take to catch program-change MIDI messages and translating them into keyswitched note-on/off messages.

The K2 scripting manual I have doesn't seem to acknowledge that a program select message even exists. Is this indeed true from the perspective of Kontakt 2?

I'm guessing the alternative is to watch the midi note on/off sequence and if there's not a big break between off/on pairs, switch to the slur/portamento instrument, and otherwise switch to the "other" instrument. If we had a time machine (or a slight delay in all sound so that our script could respond to a midi stream after-the-fact), we could use the same technique to generate a switch to staccato sounds, too.
    If Im undrstanding you correctly, you can do that in K2 but its not in the scipting manual. Its in the regular K2 manual. K2 has 128 Prg. Chn. slots were you can assign inst. and midi messages too.
    This Version of Kontakt is increadible . theres way too much stuff you can do with it..the routing is great. Rich

Thanks... I'm still awaiting my product. 23 days and counting. It was promised within 10 days, then at day 12 after I queried, it was promised in a few more days.

Still waiting....
    Andy Finkenstadt, WinXP, P4-2.8GHZ, 3GB, Sonar 4 PE, Sibelius 3. Yamaha CVP-79A.
    EWQL: Gold, GoldPro, Choirs, StormDrum. and Galaxy & Bosendorfer 290, and RealGuitar. And an empty bank account.

And the very next day, my Kontakt2 arrives UPS 2-day service. I'll install it later tonight.

Are program changes cc events? If that's the case then the script can catch them and play whatever notes you'd like based on that.

fizbin

I don't think program change events ( ~PbankHI,bankLO,number ) are considered midi controller change (~C11,0-127) events.

I've received my K2, I'm still digesting the manual, but it appears I can set up instrument BANKS, which are selected with ~Pnumber , which answers the desire for creating performances from Sibelius 3 automatically instead of "by hand".

Just write 'pizz.' over your string line to change to pizzicato, and then 'arco' to change back to bowing, and K2 could, in theory, switch the instruments right there. Normally EWQL/SO would use a keyswitch to do this. I'll still have to emulate an existing- or build a new SoundSet for sibelius that understands how to reach each of the instrument definitions, though.

Go Back to forum