• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What's that cost? Polling Question.

Share/Bookmark

Question What's that cost? Polling Question.

I have an odd question that I would like to poll. Does the price of a product influence your buying decision?

.If it is priced below typical cost - does that make you question the quality?

.If the price is sky high - do you assume the product to be of great quality?

Thanks everyone,
    FB

Re: What's that cost? Polling Question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media
    I have an odd question that I would like to poll. Does the price of a product influence your buying decision?

Thanks everyone,
    FB
    Great questions. The demos determine all for me. I'll shoot for whatever price a product is priced at as long as I feel I really need it. Within limits of course.

For instance, VSL to me isn't worth the hassle at 5g's. But the Horizon serious I'm chompin' at the bit at. EWQL Platinum is a great deal at $3,000. I don't have the money for that so I settled for Gold. Bought it at full price and didn't care about waiting around for another group buy.

So to answer your question I buy what I need, when I need it, and at the price I can afford. If I could afford all the great libraries I would get them all.

I never judge a product by how much it costs. Only how good it is and if I can afford it when I need it.

If a product cost $40 and sucked I wouldn't get it. If it cost $5,000 and was so good that it was a must I'd find the money for it. The only thing price determines for me is if at the stated price is it worth it.

So if you got kickass products that are better than anybody elses then, I want it and will go out of my way to get the money to get it.

If the product is subpar you could charge a nickel and i still wouldn't think it worth it. Why?, because I'll never use it.

I think a better way to frame the question would be how useful is the product and givin the current market what could people afford to pay for it. For that you'll need extensive beta testing and blind surveys of potential buyers in different areas of the music business.

Jose

Thumbs up Re: What's that cost? Polling Question.

An outstanding reply!
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Thanks everyone,
    FB
    Yes, price does influence my decision...

If priced below = developer want this product to be available to the masses. You can always get to know the quality of the product from various[lots of] demos comming out.

If priced high = developer is of mentality that lowering the price of his lib will make it sound cheap.

If something is cheap in price, I never doubt the quality. The demos and user opinions will tell the real story...

An outstanding reply!
    Thanks,

And since we're on the subject. Your Diva and Lyrical Distortion products are on the almost must have list. I've had my finger on the trigger ready to pull. But, there's a little bit of the Lyrical Distortion that could be better. Interval sampling to make the slides and gliss more realistic would be the bit that sends me over the top. The recordings are gorgeous. Just that feature I think would make all the difference in the world.

Diva on the other hand is awesome to. The only thing that I have a consideration on is that it would be easier and cheaper just to hire a real singer. Now if you combined a few other voices to do small ensemble acapella stuff and back up vocals, I'd be robbing my kids T-bonds to get it.

Just a thought.

Jose

Cost is huge when it comes to sample libs . I would rather have a few less features for a quarter of the price .

I do not think cutting costs w/ hardware or instruments is a good way to go though .

Cost vs. usefulness vs. platform for me. If there is a lib for $200 that will do the job and one for $300 that will do a superb job, I'll go for the $300 lib. But if that was $200 vs. $1000, there would have to be a really huge improvement to convince me.

Usefulness - I love Diva, great recordings, well put together, but at this point I have no projects where it is useful (I bought it anyway, during the group buy, knowing that eventually I will have a use - or create one.) Also to get the Giovani discount, as that is a lib I need (right now, actually.)

Platform - Mac or PC, I don't care, but I won't buy a product that uses a dongle until more than 50% of the sounds and apps I absolutely must have are dongle-only, then I'll have to buy a dedicated dongelized computer. If it's Halion or Kontakt only, I'll have to convert to Giga, so that becomes an issue with Translator. If it's a bundled Kompakt app, I have to determine how many sounds I will want to use at once - running yet another Kompakt plug for one voice is serious overkill, so I think twice about those apps.

Listening to the demos is helpful, but a complete articulation list is also important, as demos only show the product's best features, not its worst.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

FWIW, I feel that when software gets above the $500 price point, then the quality had better be something really extra special to get me to purchase it. I have a hard time rationalizing buying something that I can't re-sell later when I no longer find it useful for my purposes. Hence my buying Gold at the group buy price, and my hesitation to upgrade to Platinum even at the reduced group buy price.

I am well aware that price and quality are independent variables. Searching for sounds/samples/virtual instruments became much easier since I found the Cakewalk and Northern Sound forums, I see what has been recommended and may post a query. At the moment libraries at more than $500 are not of interest to me (maybe in a year or two.)

Copy protection is a big issue with me. I've made an exception for GPO because of the quality and the value but I'm very leary of depending on something that I can't back up and restore. Anyone who has been around for a while has had times when they've had to reinstall the operating system or replace a hard disk. I don't see how anyone with a tight production schedule and their reputation on the line could possibly accept the risk.

Hope this is useful to you.

Chet

Thanks everyone,
    FB
    If it's priced low I suspect the budget was low, and in some cases the musician(s) might not be that good, and or the recording equipment used could be of less quality (cheaper mics, pre-amps and AD-converters for instance). Most of the time I am unprejudiced before listening to at least a few mp3 demos.

Lots of those expensive libs have been processed and noise reduced (VSL, EWQLSO apparently) and are recorded with really high end gear. I don't neccesarily need recordings that have THAT quality for every instrument, so I would think again before getting the library. I might want something really raw sounding that I can process myself using plugins.

Go Back to forum