• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Harp packet

Share/Bookmark

Harp packet

Hi all
    I am quite new to gpo and i want to ask if anyone can explain how to use the harp packet.When i load it into cubase sl 2.0 i get loads of midi channels,what do i have to do to use it.I know it's an easy question for you
    all but i'm a bit slow , if any one has a cubase file that can show me please post it.
    Thankyou in advance
    Chris

Re: Harp packet

Chris,

Ah, this is the perfect opportunity to use the advanced Search function at the top of the forum page. Type "Harp MIDI packets" in the key words section and "Tom Hopkins" in the user name section. You should get a lot of info with one exception: I'm not aware that anyone has prepared an organized template of the harp MIDI packets specifically for Cubase. If one doesn't exist then I would suggest constructing your own. When I was designing this extended palette of MIDI packets I organized mine on a series of tracks in Logic. Each track was labeled by key (C, C#, D, D#, E, F, etc.) and symmetrical scales (dim, aug, whole tone). Each track contained a series of scale and chord types for that key, neatly labeled and color coded. This group of tracks and their scales and chords functioned as my harp MIDI packet library and were placed in a dedicated folder called Harp. All the library tracks were muted. Above the library tracks were two empty tracks, one labeled "Harp" and second labeled "MIDI packets." Both tracks were set to the same MIDI channel. Notes were recorded into the first track and MIDI packets were copied from the "library" to the desired location of the second track as needed. The search above should give you the rest. Anyway, that organized harp folder was copied to any song template that used harp. Since the extensive library of packets resided inside the Harp folder it didn't clutter the tracking landscape when closed. I found this organization a very convenient way to quickly apply just the type of chord/scale I needed through "drag and drop" copying.

Tom

Chris,

Terry Dywer wrote a tutorial "Using the Harp in GPO" which touches on the use of the MIDI harp packets. As Tom suggested, do a search on this forum and there willbe a great deal of information.

Brian Monroney wrote a GPO Harp Glissando Tutorial (for Digital Performer) much of which would apply to Cubase.

If anyone would like to convert the harp packets to Cubase format (like Brian did for Digital Performer), or help write a specific Harp Packet tutorial, that would be very helpful.

Gary Garritan

Hi Guys (new to GPO, and thoroughly enjoying it so far)
    I hope someone will find the following useful... Taking Brian Monroney's excellent work on the DP Clippings of the harp gliss MIDI packets, I've taken the liberty of of adding to them (complete set of harmonic/melodic and natural minor scales, plus some alternative pedal position versions etc.), and recompiled them not only as DP Clippings, but also as individual MIDIFiles (directly droppable into a track in Cubase SX.. or any other host, for that matter, in a similar way to the Groove MIDIFiles for Spectrasonics Stylus), plus a Cubase SX (v2 or 3) cpr file, which lays the packets out as a kind of "matrix", where you can easily see the various keys and the different arpeggio/glissando types and their variations..those packets which would be unplayable on a real harp are color-coded in pink.. from which to simply copy/paste into your own SX project.. the packet to be placed about one beat before the desired scale.

Unfortunately, at the moment, the forum won't let me include a URL in my post (not even if included in a Quote when I reply!)..forum support wrote back, said it may be a cookies problem.. I've tried soaking my computer in milk.. didn't help!

Anyways, when this URL problem is solved, I'll post links to downloads of..

1) a folder containing all the separate MIDI files
    2) a folder containing the extended DP Clippings
    3) a Cubase SX .cpr file
    4) a .jpg of the SX Project window (it's a good starting point for deciding which MIDIFile to open, even if you are not actually using Cubase!)

Hope someone will find some of that useful... TV was lousy over the weekend here in france.. at least this gave me something to do!

I'm still having no luck getting the forum to accept URLs from me. In the meantime, would someone please be willing to PM me so I can e-mail to you (or by return PM, if the forum will let me do that!) my proposed post (containing the links), for you to then post in here on my behalf? that would be cool, thanks (hmm, thinks.. "how could this guy ever be capable of making usable MIDI packets when he can't even manage to post in a forum?!!")

Hopefully this will work now...
    Here's a jpg image of what the Cubase SX Project looks like, and Here's the download to the .cpr file itself.
    The MIDI Files
    The DP Clippings
    an explanatory (I hope!) ReadMe file

Oops! It was a spelling mistake in the URL. The link is fine now. Thanks for pointing it out

Somebody should give Vic a star. Thanks for the dp clippings. This is something I've always wanted to do, but have been too busy, disorganized or let's face it, probably too lazy to do.

Very, very much appreciated,

Karl

Just a quick heads up, that these harp packets remain completely compatible with GPO4 in the Aria Player

(some download links higher up this topic )
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Vic, as I wrote in the pm, your matrix is well arranged and very handy, many thanks for keeping files online.

Go Back to forum