• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Request for Eric Persing

Share/Bookmark

A Request for Eric Persing

Eric,

The other day I spent some time with my Roland XP-80 and it's 4 expansion cards (Bass and Drums, Orch 2, World, and Special FX) Man, there are still some gorgeous sounds in there!!!! Can you use your clout (and charm!) with Roland and ask them to release each of the SRJV80 expansion cards as a VST? Nice bite size 32 meg llibs for $99 each? I'd be all over these (like stink on a monkey!)

Tell 'em good sound never becomes obsolete and to hurry up with the D-50 VST.

All the very best,

Darren

PS Atmosphere 2?
    Trilogy Guitar edition?
    SOV VST?

Re: A Request for Eric Persing

Don't count on it. Other than the Edirol instruments, Roland has consistently stated that they aren't interested in producing native software instruments...instead preferring to focus on combination hardware/software solutions like the VariOS system and V-Synth (which now include D-50 emulations BTW).

Most of the sounds on the Special FX board are from our Distorted Reality vol.1 which is much larger and more hi-fi than that board. The Bass and Drums board is all cut down and mono versions of our Bass Legends and Burning Groove/Smoking Kits libraries.

So you can already have much better versions of those two boards in your computer by using the original libraries with your soft sampler! :-)

http://www.spectrasonics.net/librari...tedreality.php
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/basslegends.php
    http://www.spectrasonics.net/libraries/burngrooves.php

spectrum

Smile Re: A Request for Eric Persing

Thanks for the info Eric.

I was hoping that some of the older soundsets might be resurrected. Roland has made such beautiful instrumnets in the past that it's a shame to see those sounds go by the wayside.

All the very best,

Darren

PS Do you still use hardware synths? If so, what do you have?

[QUOTE=dpasdernick]Thanks for the info Eric.

I was hoping that some of the older soundsets might be resurrected. Roland has made such beautiful instrumnets in the past that it's a shame to see those sounds go by the wayside.

They do have current SRX series versions of all those sounds that work in the current Roland instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    PS Do you still use hardware synths? If so, what do you have?
    Yes. I still use my analog stuff:

Minimoog modified by Studio Electronics
    MIDIfied Yamaha CS-80
    MIDIfied Roland Jupiter 8

Access Virus indigo a hardware synth I still really love too.

and I use the Roland XV-5080, 5050 and MKS-20 modules when I play live.

spectrum

Talking Re: A Request for Eric Persing

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Yes. I still use my analog stuff:

Minimoog modified by Studio Electronics
    MIDIfied Yamaha CS-80
    MIDIfied Roland Jupiter 8

Access Virus indigo a hardware synth I still really love too.

and I use the Roland XV-5080, 5050 and MKS-20 modules when I play live.

spectrum

Hi Eric,

OT question, but I am reasonably sure you have evaluated Arturia's CS-80V in a spare moment( like you have many)

What is your spin on the fidelity to the original as far as fatness across the spectrum(no misnomer intended ) ) and the likelihood that the original greek dude's super-fat string and brass sounds can or cannot be emulated with reasonable audible accuracy?

Thanks in advance for your perspective.

I won't even get into my praises for everything Spectrasonics as I cannot say enough.

However, I too will express my belated gratitude for all of the work that you have done in years past making Roland sounds what they were.

I too still have 3 JV-880's ( all with expansion cards), a D-550, and 2 JD-990's( haven't heard anything from Roland that touches the intensity, precision and smoothness of the 990's.... WOW!! I love em')

So... again thanks for your immeasurable contribution to my musical career.

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven
    Hi Eric,

OT question, but I am reasonably sure you have evaluated Arturia's CS-80V in a spare moment( like you have many)

What is your spin on the fidelity to the original as far as fatness across the spectrum(no misnomer intended ) ) and the likelihood that the original greek dude's super-fat string and brass sounds can or cannot be emulated with reasonable audible accuracy?
    I like Arturia's CS-80 a lot. It's one of my favorite emulative soft synths. It's not exactly like the real CS-80 though, it's more like they did a good job capturing the spirit of the instrument.

But there's many things that I can coax out of the real CS-80 that I cannot get out of the plug.....especially those types of V a n g e l i s sounds...which are very easy to do on the real thing.

The other thing is the experience of playing the real instrument and the plug-in are light years apart. The real thing is so big, physical and visceral, that it's more like comparing playing a real B-3 with a plug-in B-3 simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven
    I won't even get into my praises for everything Spectrasonics as I cannot say enough.

However, I too will express my belated gratitude for all of the work that you have done in years past making Roland sounds what they were.

I too still have 3 JV-880's ( all with expansion cards), a D-550, and 2 JD-990's( haven't heard anything from Roland that touches the intensity, precision and smoothness of the 990's.... WOW!! I love em')

So... again thanks for your immeasurable contribution to my musical career.
    Thanks, man!

spectrum

Hey, Eric -- I still want to ask about those Roland boards...

You say the drum sounds from that JV expansion card were mostly from the original Burnin' Grooves library...

But what about the SRX expansion "Dynamic Drums"?

I still say that the sounds on that board are the best "out of the box" kits I have ever worked with in my life. For the "straight ahead" stuff I often work on, they are GOLD, man. I just can't BELIEVE how easy it is to make those kits fit in a mix, and they sound so alive...

I'm serious -- maybe it's just me, but I get all goose-pimply when I play those kits... THEY JUST WORK, you know?

Anyway, I'm just curious, that's all...

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoTain
    You could sample them and use them in Kontakt....I did this and while it is time consuming, it will probably get you there much sooner than waiting for them to come out...One thing that made it less painful was doing the editing on the laptop while kicked back on the couch watching my shows like American Idol,OC,etc.....

Hey, Eric -- I still want to ask about those Roland boards...

You say the drum sounds from that JV expansion card were mostly from the original Burnin' Grooves library...
    Yes...all of them, but it was a small part of the library and they only presented them in Mono.

I still say that the sounds on that board are the best "out of the box" kits I have ever worked with in my life. For the "straight ahead" stuff I often work on, they are GOLD, man. I just can't BELIEVE how easy it is to make those kits fit in a mix, and they sound so alive...

I'm serious -- maybe it's just me, but I get all goose-pimply when I play those kits... THEY JUST WORK, you know?

Anyway, I'm just curious, that's all...
    Thanks...I'm proud of those drums...and those are the tiny, cut down versions too! :-)

So far, those sounds have only appeared in limited form on the Roland Dynamic Drums board, the Roland V-Drums board and for some of the new Burning Grooves SAGE Xpander "Acoustic Groove Elements".

The full versions of those sounds haven't actually been released on any product yet...

:-)

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick
    The other day I spent some time with my Roland XP-80 and it's 4 expansion cards
    Hi Darren,
    Keep your hardware.
    If your computer chrashes, you still have something to work with.
    ;-)

Chris Hein

Go Back to forum