• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rewire question for anybody...

Share/Bookmark

Rewire question for anybody...

I was wondering if Rewire can be used to hear and record all the Giga instruments in real-time along with my hardware in Sonar 4. Right now I'm using the old' S/PDIF loop-da-loop. If so, how ? Please give me the ( Cliff Notes ) version of how.... not the Giga manual version.

Re: Rewire question for anybody...

Did you get any pm's about this, or figure it out after? Please be alittle more specific about what you want to accomplish....I think the question was a little vague...thus no replies.

Belbin

Belbin and all others : In regards to Rewire, I want to hear and record Giga's instruments on the same Sonar sequence with my Roland, Yamaha and Alesis hardware, so I can free up a digital input on my mixer. Each time I tried to do this, I encounted a much longer delay in latency with Rewire than my S/PDIF loop ever generated. Whether this was because Giga 3 wasn't quite up to the 24-bit/96kHz specs' or what, I don't know.

Ok. You can do it, if your sequencer and giga are on the same machine. It limits your use of Giga to 16 channels (port 1 only), but enables your sequencer to bouce the audio data from giga to a specified number of audio tracks. This is real handy when using giga tracks alongside real tracks, as you'd otherwise have to capture w/giga and import the file to your sequencer.
    The main plus is that you can freeze giga, bounce giga mix giga etc....does this make sense? I'm kinda dumb after a long weird day....to dumb to be any real help.

Let me know if this is what you need to know,
    Belbin

Having re-read you message...I see the latency problem...

Please describe your setup. Latency is, as I understand it, about twice as much with Rewire as with GSIF, but in my experience (not that much), it's no more percepible.

Send system specs etc!

Belbin

ps Power users, jump in!

Hey Belbin. Yeh, it looks like (for my purposes) I'm gonna stick with the S/PDIF loop-da-loop'. I'm just going to buy another Roland M-1000 as a sub-mixer for (all) my gear to go digital, I'm anal about stuff like this. When you spoke of only Port 1 can be used in Rewire at a time... regardless of supplementary bounces of Giga audio and all that - I use on average 2 ports per song, and I like the immediacy of recording my whole song at once. So I think I have my optimum system now, until Tascam makes Rewire a little more flexible. But having said that, these are minor issues if there is another way to accomplish the music, which there was, and I have been using already.

I hear ya. Got comfy with rewire, until I learned that you can only use 16 ch....that was when I tried using more, and had to read up to find out thebad news . I'm actually using an analogue loop now, so consider yourself lucky to have spdif!

Belbin

The Giga VST Adapter may be a better option.

Does/will it do all 8 ports???

I'd sure give that a swing if it did!!

Belbin

Check it out here.

http://www.fx-max.com/gva/

Go Back to forum