• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Topic: Is RMX unreliable for everyone?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Is RMX unreliable for everyone?

    Well, after getting some good advice from GlennO and getting into the midi learn thing, I have to ask:

    Why is it that on my system (osX.3.8/G52x2G/2Gram/Logic7.01) everything seems to work fine - even K2 is seamless - but RMX just doesn't seem to want to be reliable.

    two examples:

    1-In Logic7, while cycling over a few bars, I reassigned the Aux Outputs of the ABCD...etc outs of RMX in my environment, and suddenly all the RMX outs came out of the 1 and 2 outs. There was no way to get them back into their respectively assigned outs.
    Rebooted...no change.
    After a while pressed play from top, therefore, got out of the cycling section, and it decided to be doing what it was supposed to.

    Please let me know if I got this completely wrong, but I've been assuming that outputs ABCDEFGH are to be referred to as 123456...etc so when attempting to assign output G in logic, I've been telling the Aux to deal with output 7. THat seems to be the idea, but it fluctuates on and off...and now G simply refuses to go through any out aux but out 1...

    2-On GlennO's good advice, I got into the very easy "midi learn", and all was well until it suddenly decided that whatewver assignments I had made should just be discarded...so there I am, all my tracks showing cc movements, and after an hour of flying RMX faders, - nothing.

    As if i'd never ued midi learn in the menu.
    I have not done a thing to get this trouble...didn't cancel or unlearn anything.

    I have to say, this is not quite the kind of thing I can spend my time doing.

    If it is just me, then I'll have to use RMX occasionally as a good loop tempo stretcher only, without the more advanced features instead of as a first level tool.

    Curious to get some of your thoughts.
    Thanks
    M
    http://www.marktschanz.com

  2. #2

    Re: Is RMX unreliable for everyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog
    Well, after getting some good advice from GlennO and getting into the midi learn thing, I have to ask:

    Why is it that on my system (osX.3.8/G52x2G/2Gram/Logic7.01) everything seems to work fine - even K2 is seamless - but RMX just doesn't seem to want to be reliable.
    It's not a reliability issue...it's just a matter of learning how to use this instrument within your host.

    two examples:

    1-In Logic7, while cycling over a few bars, I reassigned the Aux Outputs of the ABCD...etc outs of RMX in my environment, and suddenly all the RMX outs came out of the 1 and 2 outs.
    Sounds like you changed Multi or Kit patches?

    That will reset the output assignments to what was stored in that Multi. Turn off the Settings button in the browser to ignore the output assignments in Multis and Kits.

    There was no way to get them back into their respectively assigned outs.
    Rebooted...no change.
    After a while pressed play from top, therefore, got out of the cycling section, and it decided to be doing what it was supposed to.

    Please let me know if I got this completely wrong, but I've been assuming that outputs ABCDEFGH are to be referred to as 123456...etc so when attempting to assign output G in logic, I've been telling the Aux to deal with output 7. THat seems to be the idea, but it fluctuates on and off...and now G simply refuses to go through any out aux but out 1...
    Sounds like you may have been using the stereo plug-in, instead of the multi-channel plug-in. Easy to mistake this in Logic.

    Here's the correlation to outputs in Logic if you are using stereo Aux input channels (you should do this):

    A=1-2
    B=3-4
    C=5-6
    D=7-8
    E=9-10
    F=11-12
    G=13-14
    H=15-16

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog
    2-On GlennO's good advice, I got into the very easy "midi learn", and all was well until it suddenly decided that whatewver assignments I had made should just be discarded...so there I am, all my tracks showing cc movements, and after an hour of flying RMX faders, - nothing.

    As if i'd never ued midi learn in the menu.
    I have not done a thing to get this trouble...didn't cancel or unlearn anything.
    Sounds like you didn't save them...either saved in the song or in a multi. MIDI learn is like every other parameter in RMX...it has to be saved.

    My impression is that you were not aware that everything in RMX is a saveable parameter, including things like MIDI Learn and Output assignments. It's more flexible in this way than a lot of other virtual instruments, so it just takes a little getting used to. It's well worth the effort. :-)

    spectrum

  3. #3

    Re: Is RMX unreliable for everyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    It's not a reliability issue...it's just a matter of learning how to use this instrument within your host.

    ...and...

    My impression is that you were not aware that everything in RMX is a saveable parameter, including things like MIDI Learn and Output assignments. It's more flexible in this way than a lot of other virtual instruments, so it just takes a little getting used to. It's well worth the effort. :-)

    spectrum
    Thank you for for this extensive help.
    I have no doubt that I've been largely responsible for ny own frustrating experiences and that my following these few tricks will resolve things.

    I'll post should there be any more problems with all this

    Best.
    B
    http://www.marktschanz.com

  4. #4

    Re: Is RMX unreliable for everyone?

    Well since Eric and GlennO have been very kind with the time they've spent trying to help me out, I owe them to say that it all looks much better now.!
    Thank you for that.

    There are however a couple of things that really seem to be a little beyond all that - and I do apologise in advance if this is inappropriate, but I've checked it 25 times and - for instance, why is it that when selecting "core lib" and "sounds menu", 2 out of three times, there is NO sound coming out?


    B
    http://www.marktschanz.com

  5. #5

    Re: Is RMX unreliable for everyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by bluedog
    There are however a couple of things that really seem to be a little beyond all that - and I do apologise in advance if this is inappropriate, but I've checked it 25 times and - for instance, why is it that when selecting "core lib" and "sounds menu", 2 out of three times, there is NO sound coming out?


    B
    Please watch the "Core Library Tour" tutorial video again.

    Sound Menus are elements that you play from your MIDI controller, like a traditional sound module or sampler. That's why they don't automatically play when you click them.

    RMX is not only a Groove Module, but also a very powerful sound module as well.

    There are over 10,000 unique sounds in here....so I'd suggest trying them! :-)

    spectrum

  6. #6

    Red face Re: Is RMX unreliable for everyone?

    Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Sound Menus are elements that you play from your MIDI controller, like a traditional sound module or sampler. That's why they don't automatically play when you click them.

    RMX is not only a Groove Module, but also a very powerful sound module as well.
    There are over 10,000 unique sounds in here....so I'd suggest trying them! :-)

    spectrum
    Oh, I'll take this opportunity to make sure it is known that I have a great deal of respect for everyone's time here. Although I have strangely been inefficient in getting things going with RMX (!) Thanks for all your help, particularly Eric. I'm usually quite self sufficient with these things while unafraid to ask basic questions when REALLY stuck...but this was a little much! Embarrassing.

    In this instance however, I was aware of the sound module aspect of RMX...as well as the occasional mapping one has to look for as in regular modules. I did mean that the sounds were not coming out when triggered from the midi controller, sorry if my explanation wasn't clear.

    So as some clicking around between the pages seemed to do the trick and start the sounds coming out, I was wondering whether there might be a particular requirement of settings when going to sound menu?

    But from your answer I guess it's not the case...I'll keep at it.

    THanks again.
    B
    http://www.marktschanz.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •