• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Converting sample libraries to mono?

Share/Bookmark

Converting sample libraries to mono?

I posted a query some time ago about converting my signal path to mono for my live rig, but I've got a clearer idea what I want to do now.

It's occured to me that it would make much more sense to actually load the samples themselves in mono rather than stereo, since this would:

a) Halve the amount of memory needed to load them, thus doubling the amount that I can load

b) Greatly reduce the load on the CPU running them (I think?)

c) Give me another dimension free when designing instruments in the Gigastudio Editor, since stereo takes up one dimension. I'm currently trying to put instruments together that place as many articulations as possible under my fingertips, and sometimes running into a bottleneck here. (I'm still using Giga 2.5 - I know that Giga 3 has many more dimensions, but I don't want to be pressed to upgrade prematurely).

I've done a few basic listening tests to individual samples in their original stereo, and converted to mono. While I can hear the difference, I feel it's slight enough to be worth sacrificing to the convenience of streamlining my routing and doubling my simultaneous availability of sounds.

The question is: how to go about loading stereo sample libraries as mono only? I can switch off the stereo dimension in the Giga editor, and it will just play one side of the sample, but then it's still loading the other side, thus using up a whole lot of unnecessary memory.

I suppose the real answer is to export all the samples, convert them to mono, and re-import them. But individually, this would take forever! (I use PMI Bosendorfer, Scarbee Rhodes, QL Brass etc). So I'd need to be able to batch process them.

I've looked at the batch processing tool in Wavelab and it has options to save with a different bit rate etc, but not to save stereo files (en masse) as mono. Is there another (cheap) program that would do this?

I've asked this here rather than in the Giga forum because I'm open to solutions using other samplers if they exist. I have a licence for Kontakt 1.5, and would be prepared to upgrade to 2.0 if it would make this easier.

Any ideas?

Re: Converting sample libraries to mono?

I don't know whether or not Tanslator would do the job (I don't have it and haven't heard of anyone using it to do what you want to do) but you might consider posting this question over at the Chicken Systems forum. Even if it can't do the particular conversion they might be able to point you in the direction of a workable method.

Good luck

Chet

Sonic Foundry Batch Converter.

Translater does have a mono converstion for Giga files. I've used it a lot and you can convert several at once.
    Anthony Lombardi, composer
    www.anthonylombardi.com

translator or Awave
    Operation Mindcrime 2, in stores now.
    or go here...
    The Digital Bitphonic Orchestra
    -Ashif "Ash" Hakik

Thanks everyone.

Do you mean that Translator with convert all the samples in a Gig file to mono, WITHOUT my having to export the samples and re-import them? That would be ideal.

But I need to know that it's actually converting the samples themselves to mono, not just telling the .gig file to take one side of each stereo file and work in mono, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Depending on the recording, you might get better sonic results by blending right and left in some cases, and by using only one channel in other cases.

In a Mid/Side recording, you can blend the two and get a perfect mono recording. With X-Y stereo, blending works well. With separated mics, you might get phasing problems, in which case it's best to use only one mic.

I'm not sure if the translator offers a blend/drop option for mono mixing or not.

I've used Sound Forge's batch converter for mono conversions. It offers both. But that's just at the wave level, not the gig level. A translator would save lots of work!

-JF

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

In GigaStudio 3.0 you can do this in the Editor.

Edit | Convert Wave Pool Format

So, just open the GIG file you want to convert, save it off to a new name, then convert the Wave Pool. You get a choice of Keep Left, Keep Right, or Left + Right.

Translator actually makes the waves mono I believe. That was the whole point for me doing it. I can now load twice the number of instruments with my mono instruments. You can chose how it's done, but I make it take just one side, which eliminates phasing problems.

Why don't you post this question in the Chickensys forum? You'll get a more thorough answer.
    Anthony Lombardi, composer
    www.anthonylombardi.com

Quote Originally Posted by tonylombardi
    Translator actually makes the waves mono I believe. That was the whole point for me doing it. I can now load twice the number of instruments with my mono instruments. You can chose how it's done, but I make it take just one side, which eliminates phasing problems.
    That sounds perfect. If you can choose the method, I could vary it according to how the samples were recorded, from one library to another.

Why don't you post this question in the Chickensys forum? You'll get a more thorough answer.
    I think I'll do that. I looked up the Chicken Systems Translator on the web, and it took me to a site that hadn't been updated since 2001, with information about a version of translator that I'm sure was out of date (no mention of Kontakt, etc). I'm sure that must have been wrong? Does anybody have the url of the current Chicken site to hand?

Go Back to forum