• Register
  • Help

Topic: Acting on "impulse" - I've got the Chan Centre in my PCs!!

Share/Bookmark

Smile Acting on "impulse" - I've got the Chan Centre in my PCs!!

Hey gang - just thought I'd post a quick howdy-do. I was rearranging after adding some flat panel displays to my setup, and came across some pictures I downloaded off of the Chan Centre web site - and decided to use two of them as background images on my machines.

Pretty cool, huh? The one that spans the two monitors in front makes it look like I'm looking into the audience from the stage, the other one is a pic of another room in the facility, a threatre in the round. It really puts me in a mood to create when I sit down in the studio. They also have a picture of a screening room, and I've been playing around with that a bit as well.

Since Gary announced the release of his impulse libraries, I've been really excited about it, and this really "puts me in the right space" for when he releases it.

You can see more images for the Chan Centre HERE. Enjoy!
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Re: Acting on "impulse" - I've got the Chan Centre in my PCs!!

Howdie Houston,

Nice photos. That can really bring you in the mood for an orchestral masterpiece!

It was a great experience being at the Chan Center. I've spend a fair amount of time there and it brings back good memories. Soon you can see and hear the Chan Center (and Benaroya Hall and Bastyr).

The Chan Center is a 1,400 seat concert hall in Vancouver regarded as one of the most state-of-the-art concert halls in the world.. It has an international reputation for its striking design, unique technology and stellar acoustics. What is really fascinating is the way the acoustics are controllable. A unique design feature of the hall is its high ceiling with a large, adjustable acoustical canopy that suspends over the stage allowing the hall acoustics to be adjusted. Retractable acoustic banners along all the walls also enable adjustment of the hall's acoustics.

For the impulse recording, all player positions on stage were recorded, one for each instrument of the orchestra. The impulses were recorded with multiple mike placements using multiple impulses in each location. It was a lot of fun doing this project.

Thanks for posting the links.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Hey gang - just thought I'd post a quick howdy-do. I was rearranging after adding some flat panel displays to my setup, and came across some pictures I downloaded off of the Chan Centre web site - and decided to use two of them as background images on my machines.

Pretty cool, huh? The one that spans the two monitors in front makes it look like I'm looking into the audience from the stage, the other one is a pic of another room in the facility, a threatre in the round. It really puts me in a mood to create when I sit down in the studio. They also have a picture of a screening room, and I've been playing around with that a bit as well.

Since Gary announced the release of his impulse libraries, I've been really excited about it, and this really "puts me in the right space" for when he releases it.

You can see more images for the Chan Centre HERE. Enjoy!

Cool, yep. But I am realy more impressed by your keyboard stand. Custom made? Came with the keyboard? What? It looks like what I have been searching for.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Cool, yep. But I am realy more impressed by your keyboard stand. Custom made? Came with the keyboard? What? It looks like what I have been searching for.

Richard
    Yes - it's a custom job - in fact, the keyboard stand was designed and built by my father and me, and the PC quiet box (that the TASCAM FW-1814 and thrid monitor rests upon) was built with my father in law.

Very cool.

My son will start his freshman year at UBC in the fall. I expect that he'll attend events many times at the Chan Centre during the next few years. (And maybe I will too, when I visit. )

-JF

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Haynes
    Yes - it's a custom job - in fact, the keyboard stand was designed and built by my father and me, and the PC quiet box (that the TASCAM FW-1814 and thrid monitor rests upon) was built with my father in law.
    Getting a little OT, but - how well does your custom PC quiet box work? Does it fit one pc, or more? Any construction advice to impart to your fellow composers?

Quote Originally Posted by jc5
    Getting a little OT, but - how well does your custom PC quiet box work? Does it fit one pc, or more? Any construction advice to impart to your fellow composers?
    I'm happy to share my experiences - there's a thread I started at Studio Central where I describe the quiet box and show a few pictures. You can read it here. I've gone through two moves (DC to LA, LA to rural Agoura Hills) and have streamlined my setup each time I've moved - with some major hardware upgrades along the way that have helped quite a bit.

As you can see in that thread - it's a two-box enclosure, with active ventilation. I can remove six screws on the side panel or eight along the top edge and have access to both machines. Now that I have the cinema display and FW on the top, I use the side panel for access almost exclusively.

I have some pictures of showing some of the steps along the way while it was being built - but I don't have them online - and am a bit busy with my current film project to do it now. Perhaps I'll take some time this weekend to dig it up and put it online - probably in the same thread I've reference above.

Go Back to forum