• Register
  • Help

Topic: What does RAM locking do?

Share/Bookmark

What does RAM locking do?

There's that 'RAM locking' feature in the GPO kontakt player under options. Exactly what does that do?
    I haven't a clue!

Thanks,
    -Chris

Re: What does RAM locking do?

Chris,
    It's my understanding that the "Lock Memory" option prevents samples from being swapped to disk. This option might be of benefit if you're running in a constrained memory environment.

However, having this option turned on can also slow considerably the initial load time of the voices. This has been my experience.

I run with this option turned off. My load times for a particular project, which were originally measured in minutes (2-3) changed to seconds (~30) when I turned this option off.
    Bill

So having this feature on will make it so that all of the patches will stay in RAM at all times and never float back to the hard disc? Am I understanding this correctly?

And you now have loading times of thirty seconds??!!?? How did you do that? What kind of computer do you have? With it off my loading times for a decent full orchestra are around 18 minutes. With it on it was around 25 minutes. With the feature turned off I can get more instruments loaded without getting error messages than with it on. My computer is 1.8 ghz P4 with 1 gb RAM. The hard drive I load from is USB, and that may contribute to the slow loading times.

-Chris

You should be safe to uncheck the RAM locking option as long as you have 1 GB of memory. It will get your load times down to a minute! This is what is causing your long load times.

Quote Originally Posted by cptexas
    So having this feature on will make it so that all of the patches will stay in RAM at all times and never float back to the hard disc? Am I understanding this correctly?
    I can't say I know that for sure, but that's my understanding...but as Haydn and I both suggest, it normally should be turned off.

What kind of computer do you have? With it off my loading times for a decent full orchestra are around 18 minutes. With it on it was around 25 minutes. With the feature turned off I can get more instruments loaded without getting error messages than with it on. My computer is 1.8 ghz P4 with 1 gb RAM. The hard drive I load from is USB, and that may contribute to the slow loading times.
    Well, you did get fair improvement by turning off the flag. I'm not a hardware kind of guy, but I suppose it's possible that your drive is the bottleneck. 18 minutes is astonishingly long.

My old machine is a 2.0Ghz. I don't have enough memory on it to do a fair comparison with your load times, but I doubt that its load times would be longer than a couple of minutes max.

My current DAW is an AMD Athlon64 3200+ w/ 2GB ram.
    Bill

My experience with this has also been that if it is shut OFF, a.) load time is significantly decreased; b.) I appear to be able to load more instruments; and c.) I less frequently see memory warnings during loading of large ensembles.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

The locking does prevent samples from being swapped to the hard drive. I have the swap file turned off on my system as I have 2 GB of memory. So even with the RAM Locking turned off, I still don't get swapping.

I have had one instance when the samples did swap out on my older system before they added the RAM locking feature. It caused pops and clicks when it went to retrieve the samples from the hard drive. Not very pleasant. Rebooting took care of the issue and I never had it occur again.

Go Back to forum