• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Are they serious?

Share/Bookmark

Question Are they serious?

I came across this in a newsletter by some organization the has to do with Alzheimer’s research.

Ravel's Bolero comes under psychiatric investigation
    Commentary on whether the well-known romantic classical music composition, Ravel's Bolero, was in fact the symptom of the onset of Alzheimers Disease or a brain tumor, due to similarities between the repetition in the music and alzheimer's symptoms.

Are they serious?
    Styxx

Re: Are they serious?

I guess they are serious:

http://www.upliftprogram.com/h_brain_03.html#h24

Styxx, did Bo Derek know that?

Don't know if they are serius, but if that's true, then they must research all the minimalist composers, and the serialists too... Repetition with variatons has been a constant in music history. Maybe there are more details that point out to the Bolero. Anyway is a masterwork

Wow, after reading that article I'm going out for a ... a ... a... scaned cat!
    Styxx, did Bo Derek know that?
    I doubt if she even knew what was happening at the time except she may have felt a chill from time to time!

What is it when a blonde blows into another blondes ear?

Data transfer.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolano
    Don't know if they are serius, but if that's true, then they must research all the minimalist composers, and the serialists too... Repetition with variatons has been a constant in music history. Maybe there are more details that point out to the Bolero. Anyway is a masterwork
    I should explain that I came across this bizzar bit of information while searching for a complete score of "Belero". But I forgot...
    Styxx

Talking Re: Are they serious?

Heheheheh.....

btw. they say: "...The works are Bolero, written in 1928, and his 1930 piano concerto for the left hand."

It's enough to say that his concerto for the left hand was composed for a pianist which lost an arm in the WW1. I don't remember his name, but he was very famous and Ravel was not the only one to write concerto for left hand only.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

C'mon Styxx! Ravel was an Impressionist!

I'm not even going to read that article because the story I have heard most often is that one of his colleagues wagered with him that he couldn't write a piece of music with one 16 bar melody long that lasted 15 minutes. This is one of the first pieces he used the technique of stacking instruments on the fundamentals to create unique sounds... Plus the wonderful saxophone solo.

Some even say the trombones at the end are saying "ha ha". Because he did win the wager, after all.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Wink Re: Are they serious?

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    C'mon Styxx! Ravel was an Impressionist!

I'm not even going to read that article because the story I have heard most often is that one of his colleagues wagered with him that he couldn't write a piece of music with one 16 bar melody long that lasted 15 minutes. This is one of the first pieces he used the technique of stacking instruments on the fundamentals to create unique sounds... Plus the wonderful saxophone solo.

Some even say the trombones at the end are saying "ha ha". Because he did win the wager, after all.
    Hey jess ...
    Styxx

Wink Re: Are they serious?

I really think that the researchers are probably very good scientist, but not well documented musicians or musicologist.

Every composer understand the strength of the Bolero musical structure, even if they don't know about the challenge hidden under the bet story.

And the piano concert IMHO is not the work of half the brain (...one half of the man's hands perhaps...;-)

Anyway if this disease is able to produce something nice and famous as Bolero, I may seriously desire to experiment it... (I doubt that it had worked if you are not Ravel, BTW...)

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic
    This is incorrect. Everyone knows that Ravel wrote Bolero in the late 70's for the Blake Edwards movie "10", starring Bo Derek.

Go Back to forum