• Register
  • Help

Topic: Questions Re: Producing a Piano Library

Share/Bookmark

Questions Re: Producing a Piano Library

I have plans to begin creating a sample library of my 1911 Steinway B later this year, and right now the piano is having quite a bit of work done to it in preparation.

There are, obviously, a number of Steinway libraries out already, but my hope is that there will be some interest because this is a 'Golden Age' Model B, and it has a wonderful sound.

I've got a few practical questions, and no doubt I'll have more as time goes on.

First of all, how does someone protect intellectual property rights on a sample library, is it like copyrighting and having music published, or is there a different method.

Secondly, what's the preferred type of microphone, large diaphragm or small diaphragm condenser?

And last, what type of preamps are recommended- tubes for warmth, etc?

Any feedback you can give me would be appreciated.

Michael

Re: Questions Re: Producing a Piano Library

Sampled material is protected by the same copyright laws that applies to any other recorded material.
    Could be a good idea what applies in your country/state.

The choise of michrophone/preamp is very much depending on what kind of sound you like to get. In my experience, the room plays a big part in how the recording will sound.
    Take your time trying out different michrophone placements, do test recordings and make test versions of the sampled instrument.
    A gran piano is extremly transient and dynamic, so you will need michrophones that can deal with that. Also pay attention to the signal to noise ratio. Remember that when playing a cluster of notes on a sampled piano you are adding up noise since you are triggereing 10, 15 or maybe 20 samples at the same time, buildin up noise.
    Also it's a great idea to get a good piano tech to go over the instrument before recording and also to check tuning at lease a couple of times each day.

Good luck!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Banned

nice you mention tuning, worra...i downloaded one of your pianos, and there is o n e note out of tune. shame on you.

i didnt mind because it was a. cheap, and b. otherwise nice sounding...

Quote Originally Posted by zonobono
    nice you mention tuning, worra...i downloaded one of your pianos, and there is o n e note out of tune. shame on you.

i didnt mind because it was a. cheap, and b. otherwise nice sounding...

Ok, nobodys perfect.... which one?
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Worra,

I hadn't thought about signal to noise building up the more notes you play! I was already going to be very picky about noise, now I am going to be very VERY picky about noise.

I realize this is going to be a major undertaking, so thanks for the suggestions and information. I especially appreciate the fact that you're a sample developer, and you're willing to give me some pointers.

Regards,
    Michael

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

You didn't mention how much studio experience you have, but if you are not accustomed to recording pianos, and you want a really good sound, I would suggest hiring out a good engineer for at least a consultation.

Bruce,

An engineering consultation sounds like a great idea to me, since I don't have a lot of piano recording experience. Maybe some adjusting of the acoustics would be beneficial too, and that's beyond my expertise, such as it is...

Since there are no deadlines to meet I'll probably read whatever's out there about piano recording techniques first (I've seen a number of informative articles in years past), then experiment a bit.

At that point maybe I can cajole Arthur Rubinstein's recording engineer to take a looksee.

Thanks,
    Michael

Go Back to forum