• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which PC? Please help

Share/Bookmark

Which PC? Please help

Hi,
    I use Mac\'s in my pro-tool studio and want to get a PC just for GSt.
    I\'ve seen several posts in here saying that a Celeron 500+ works fine. Others
    say that P3 is the only way to go. I don\'t know much about PC\'s - but I\'m wondering
    if a store bought PC, such as Compaq with a Celeron 566 w /FHC, 256mg, 2nd 7200 rpm drive and a gina card would work fine as a stand alone gigastudio. I won\'t really need the effects, just full use of voices. I\'m looking to put something together without spending a fortune, but I don\'t want to end up with a nightmare.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: Which PC? Please help

Dear Tripit

Yes, indeed these are good questions to consider. First of all you need to make the
    final choice.

This is my experience as a professional musician and software engineer. Celeron can work with Gigasampler/Gigastudio and you will find users very happy with such a product. You will also find users not so happy with Celeron. The most successfull pcs I have seen most users happy with is definately a Pentium 3 as I am the owner of one. I have been very fortunate with my pc I bought.
    I am happy to say that even though I spent a few more dollars, its worth it than buying generic pcs. I classify a Generic Pc as a typical office pc. These are the pcs they sell mostly through big vendors.

I believe a pc should be a music studio and built by muicians or Audio Gurus that understand whats needed to make a studio pc different form a Generic PC. There are many
    problems with Generic PCS. Its the questions we ask \"which Pentium\" \"The bigger the better\" . This is not the criterria. Rather What does the Motherboard Support. Which harddrive and what is the data transfer rate(Not necesseraly the seek time or rpm that count, its more than that.

I just bought a Pc running Gigastudio, Cubase
    AARDVARK PRO 24/96 which I am very happpy with. People are \"Jealous\" to know I havent had any problems with my Gigasstudio set up why??
    Because I bought a studio PC and no \"Crap\"modems and drives I would take out anyway to replace with good gear.(in this way I saved more money and spent it on a good Rewritable drive)

My set up
    Pentium 3
    700 MHZ (Motherboard supports Ultra 66)
    2 harddrives (Ultra ATA 66 and SCSI)
    Excelllent cd rewritable from Plextor(reads 12x) (my Favorite)
    256 megs of ram
    cd drive
    floppy drive
    cool case with 4 pci slots(think expansion)

This is my set up and as a musician and computer buff I would recommend these guys any day.

You might want to ask them how much for a studio pc with your requirements and it will be custom made if they dont have the model you want.

I chose the Studio Classic but added the scsi drive and 128 megss of Ram.=(256 megsram)

I bought mine from Soundsonics pcs and they are music Gurus.

I had mine within 1 month which is good for a custom configured and tested audio workstation.

The guys name is David and the companys
    e-mail is soundsonics@netexecutive.com

I hope that I have given you enough info, remember you make the final choice!!!!

Mine was good!!!

VictorD

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tripit:
    Hi,
    say that P3 is the only way to go. I don\'t know much about PC\'s - but I\'m wondering
    if a store bought PC, such as Compaq with a Celeron 566 w /FHC, 256mg, 2nd 7200 rpm drive and a gina card would work fine as a stand alone gigastudio. I won\'t really need the effects, just full use of voices. I\'m looking to put something together without spending a fortune, but I don\'t want to end up with a nightmare.
    Thanks in advance.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by VictorD (edited 09-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by VictorD (edited 09-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by VictorD (edited 02-21-2001).]

Thanks for the reply VictorD,
    I\'ll check out your tip, although I think that because I already own several top of the line mac\'s, blown out with protools, logic audio, and a ton of other music programs, I really only need a PC machine that will do just GSt. I won\'t need it to do any other audio or sequenceing, so maybe I can go with somewhat less of a machine. I know that having a good machine is worth the money, but I don\'t want to spend a fortune on yet one more compter system, especialy one that will only be used for one thing.
    I will take your advice though about looking for a custom made one. Hopefully they will be able to set me up with something not to expensive but good for GSt.
    tripit

Sorry about the icon - was suppose to be a smile
    tripit

Gigastudio needs a lot of power and will not work as well on a lesser machine. VictorD\'s system is a good base system. Get at least 256 MB of RAM and fast hard drives. I recommend at least a PIII 700 if you want to use the full capabilities of Gigastudio. You should probably stay away from many name brand systems as they load them up with alot of software that will slow down the system. Most of the companies do not support stripped down software if you have problems. They normally make you reinstall all the junk from their installation disks when their is a problem. PIII 733 is at a good price (Approx. $200 for the processor) at this time. Any faster and the prices jump. Any slower and their isn\'t much of a cost savings. Hope this helps.

Dear Tripit

There are many good things about a studio pc
    and yes it could cost you more, but trust me
    with Gigastudio you need better than a Generic PC even if you only use it for Gigastudio.

As HaydN said there are a lot of crap software on your pc which comes preloaded. Also with Generic pcs you get modems and other hardware components which disrupt your performance by sharing IRQ interrupts and glitches could accur.

I would recommend you talk to Dave at Soundsonics and just ask him advice before you purchase a Generic system.

I am using Windows 98 Lite with my system because I am running my pc for Gigastudio.

My other PC is a P3 850 MHZ
    128 M RAM
    1 harddrive for my programs.

I just want to give you my experience and expertise, but you make the final choice.

Sincerely,

Victor D

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tripit:
    Thanks for the reply VictorD,
    I\'ll check out your tip, although I think that because I already own several top of the line mac\'s, blown out with protools, logic audio, and a ton of other music programs, I really only need a PC machine that will do just GSt. I won\'t need it to do any other audio or sequenceing, so maybe I can go with somewhat less of a machine. I know that having a good machine is worth the money, but I don\'t want to spend a fortune on yet one more compter system, especialy one that will only be used for one thing.
    I will take your advice though about looking for a custom made one. Hopefully they will be able to set me up with something not to expensive but good for GSt.
    tripit
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the help guys. I put a call into Dave and sent him an email.
    Cheers
    tripit

oh <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tripit:
    Thanks for the help guys. I put a call into Dave and sent him an email.
    Cheers
    tripit
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks to Soundsonics and VictorD!!

I now have a very special system which is working great with Gigastudio 160. I can Produce a fast array of Orchestral Techniques and feel confident in using this Product.

JohnW

Thanks guys for your help.

I placed an order to David of soundsonics.
    Their email is soundsonics@netexecutive.com
    and tel 503-999-8305.

He is building me a killer Machine.

I tried Soundchaser and others and I found, that they sell systems not suited for everyones needs.I found Soundsonics to be the best. I am going to be the owner of a 1 Gighz machine.

See Ya

Raven

Hi,
    Thanks in advance.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by Raven (edited 10-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Raven (edited 12-03-2000).]

I just got my new machine yesterday - built by David at Soundsonics and it\'s killer. Anyone else out there looking for a PC, you should try Soundsonics. David is great and very flexible. Now I\'m off to translator land to see how well Rubber chicken can translate Roland samples.
    Tripit

Go Back to forum