• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for mute brass samples: any suggestions?

Share/Bookmark

Looking for mute brass samples: any suggestions?

Hello,

I'm composing an hour of all original media music to be performed by a live ensemble for my senior recital concert at Cal State Northridge. (it will be sometime in spring 06, and if your interested pm me) In the mean time I am composing my works with samples, to which I am currently using VSL Opus 1. I absolutely LOVE this library and its functionality in Logic with EXS, but I am a bit disappointed in the brass sounds, particularly the lack of mutes. Thus I'm looking for a nice brass lib complement for OPUS 1.

The logical choice would be the new OPUS 2 library, which does contain new brass mutes and articulations. However, it also contains samples I will not use often: string runs, staccato reps, performance legato for low winds, timpani glissandi, etc, so why spend $500 for instruments I will not frequently use? Especially when most stand-alone brass libs like Project Sam and Sonic Implants are roughly the same price? (I qualify for SI's student discounts). However OPUS 2 is still an option, though I have yet to find any demos online. Anyone here have any experience with the OPUS 2 lib? Is it worth the price overall? Is it a good companion to the OPUS 1 lib (I know they are designed to be, but I'd like to know if they succeeded.)

If OPUS 2 is not the answer, what other brass options would you recommend? The two I have found of interest are Sonic Implants and Project Sam. If you had to pick one, which would you go with and why? Also, if I'm correct, SI only has straight mutes while project sam uses both straight and cup? Will the 3 mic positions of project sam balance ok with the dry VSL samples and space designer? Will the fact that SI is not in native EXS form be a problem with someone not experienced in transferring and editing samples? Basically, why choose one over the other.

I've read on these boards the possibility of synthetically creating the mute brass sound, though since my pieces are ultimately going to be played live, I dont want to focus too much manipulating sounds, rather on composing music. However, I would like to hear these textures while composing, and do so quickly, so I can hear it in context with the rest of the piece/ensemble. Thus I'm thinking a new lib might be the best answer, though I am open to suggestions. I dont want to have to spend money if its not needed; I am a poor college student after all

Sorry for the long post, but this is a very important decision I have to make rather quickly, and I want to get the most information as possible. I thank you all in advance for your help! I truly do appreciate it, and as payment, I will treat you to a wonderful FREE concert at CSUN next year!

Thanks again,
    Jonathan Timpe

Re: Looking for mute brass samples: any suggestions?

Sonic Implants Brass has a great array of mutes (more so than any other library as far as I know). Has mutes for trumpets, horns, tbones. Flutter-tongue mute, staccato mutes, legato mutes, ect.

XSample also has a brass library that features trumpet, horn, and trombone with various mutes. Not tuba, though. It's considerably cheaper that SI, and since it's "dry" it might be easier to blend with VSL. (But I can't promise anything since I don't actually have any of these libraries.)
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    XSample also has a brass library that features trumpet, horn, and trombone with various mutes. Not tuba, though. It's considerably cheaper that SI, and since it's "dry" it might be easier to blend with VSL. (But I can't promise anything since I don't actually have any of these libraries.)
    We don't have any demos up yet, but the Kirk Hunter Concert Brass has the most comprehensive set of muted brass of any other library.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

How about some demos then?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

The SI Brass is very very good. Quite the nice library.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Sapp
    How about some demos then?
    When we're done.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by peter269
    When we're done.
    I understand the brass has been complete for nearly five months. So when are you talking about - when you release it?

Hey everybody,

Thanks in advance for your replies. I have a few questions though in regards to SI brass. Does SI have cup or harmon mute sounds as well? All I can find is straight mutes on their website. Also, is anyone here using SI stuff in Logic EXS? How was the transfer process from giga?

For the Kirk Hunter Brass, what makes it the most comprehensive set of muted brass? Does it come in native EXS format?

Is anyone here using project sam? Does it compare at all to SI?

Thanks for all everyones wonderful feedback. If its not too much trouble for those with these libs, could you post a quick reference file of the muted brass? It would really help me compair, especially the SI stuff, which doesnt have any muted brass in their demos it seems (or if they do its back in the mix) Thanks!

Jon

I pre ordered the KH Brass a few weeks back. I was told that it will be shipping to me next week. If you go to:http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/downloads.html
    There are some demo patches you can download. I dont remember hearing any muted brass, but it has a great cinematic sound. I will also be ordering the woodwinds as well.

-T

Go Back to forum