• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Looking for orchestral percussion samples: any suggestions?

Share/Bookmark

Looking for orchestral percussion samples: any suggestions?

Hello,

As you may have read in my other thread, I'm composing an hour of all original media music to be performed by a live ensemble for my senior recital concert at Cal State Northridge. (it will be sometime in spring 06, and if your interested pm me) In the mean time I'm composing my works with samples, to which I am currently using VSL Opus 1. I absolutely LOVE this library and its functionality in Logic with EXS, but its missing a real expansive percussion section (limited to just a few playing techniques on only common instruments). Since one of my pieces will be for Percussion/ Wind Ensemble (and I want the percussion to drive the piece) I need to find a relatively cheep (I am a poor college student after all) percussion lib to complement OPUS 1.

The logical choice would be the new OPUS 2 library, which does contain a few new percussion instruments (Marimba, Vibraphone, Bells, Waterphone) but once again they are limited to only a few playing techniques and mallet types. Also, its $500 for the lib, and it contains numerous sounds which I doubt I'd use that much (string runs, staccato reps, performance legato for low winds, etc). So I dont know if this is the best way to go.

I'm also looking into VSL Mallets, which seems to be very extensive and well priced lib for all that you get, but fear it might be overkill. Is there anything similar which is not limited to just Mallets? (I would like some more bell, gong, cymbal sounds too, though the real lack in OPUS 1 is mallets) What are you guys using for your percussion sounds?

Thank you in advance for all your help. I truly do appreciate it, and as payment for your help, I will treat you to a wonderful FREE concert at CSUN next year!

Thanks again,
    Jonathan Timpe

Re: Looking for orchestral percussion samples: any suggestions?

"Sam's True Strike"

KID

Quote Originally Posted by kid-surf
    "Sam's True Strike"

KID
    dugh, I didnt even think of them. Is this what you are using Kid? How do you like it? I'm going to check em out right now! THANKS! (sorry I cant help on your VSL problem. Did you try posting on their forms? best of luck)

I have Project SAM's Ture Strike as well and love it - great product. Highly recommended.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

London Percussion

Project SAM - True Strike . No second thoughts
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

true strike

Definitely True Strike.

I also love the True Strike. There is a couple things to know though.

The library is available as a GS2.5 library, GS3 library and a Virtual Instrument. The Halion player is far from being ready and knowing Steinberg it isn't going to be ready for a long time if ever. You might end up bald because of all the hair you have torn off in despair or it might work just fine. I don't know if EXS is able to import the GS3 version.

The whole library is recorded in a concert hall. This means that even the close mic set has a distinctive room sound in it. This might be a problem with some sounds, especially the mallets if you are looking for a small acoustic jazz sound. The sound of the hall is great in orchestral context and the library really comes alive in the stage mic set. The library is excellent in the huge orchestral department.

The True Strike vibraphone doesn't have rotor-on version. I might get the VSL Mallets even if I was hoping that the True Strike would cover that too. The TS mallets are great but I miss the dry studio sound and the rotor-on vibraphone.

The True Strike is available as two versions, the Starter and Pro editions. I have the Pro and I'm glad I do. The Starter edition is cheaper but it is likely that you end up updating to the Pro edition and pay some extra in the process. Get the Pro if you can afford it.

In case no one has mentioned it yet, you might look at True Strike.

Go Back to forum