• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gospel choir vocal samples

Share/Bookmark

Gospel choir vocal samples

hi there

does anyone know of any gospel choir vocal samples, i got the vocal planet ones and was very dissapointed i also have symphony of voice any one know any more?

thankyou

Re: Gospel samples

Really? That's a first!

Why were you disappointed? VP has the largest collection of Gospel samples anywhere. I don't think there's any other library period that has samples like this:

http://files.spectrasonics.net/mp3/VP_Gospel_demo.mp3

Very curious to know your feedback.

I'm particularly proud of those samples as it was huge fun to do and incredibly difficult to do too.

Probably my most fun sampling day ever! Looking forward to your reply.

spectrum :-)

Oh my god! What an awesome demonstration....

I'm exploring more now on your web site.
    Andy Finkenstadt, WinXP, P4-2.8GHZ, 3GB, Sonar 4 PE, Sibelius 3. Yamaha CVP-79A.
    EWQL: Gold, GoldPro, Choirs, StormDrum. and Galaxy & Bosendorfer 290, and RealGuitar. And an empty bank account.

I keep trying to NOT purchase VP, (not really sure why, except it's been out so long I guess I feel it should have been mined out by now?) And then you show us something like that...

Still - that's Black gospel, not midwestern Anglo hymnifying (if I can compose music, I can compose words, too! ) Is that the prolem or do you just need more material? there's also Hallelujah! I don't remember the source, I git the ProSamples short stack. It's not bad, but also Black gospel. More syllable Oh/aH/umm than phrases, I believe.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

I love it Eric! All your products are out of this world- literally.

Was that Tommy Walker i heard in the backgroud?

Cheers
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    I keep trying to NOT purchase VP, (not really sure why, except it's been out so long I guess I feel it should have been mined out by now?) And then you show us something like that...

Still - that's Black gospel, not midwestern Anglo hymnifying (if I can compose music, I can compose words, too! )
    It's definitely not Southern White Gospel, but I'm not sure there's a big need for that in the sample world. Pretty easy to find singers that do that.

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    Is that the prolem or do you just need more material? there's also Hallelujah! I don't remember the source, I git the ProSamples short stack. It's not bad, but also Black gospel. More syllable Oh/aH/umm than phrases, I believe.
    The Hallelujah stuff was far less multisampled than the VP stuff.

VP includes multisamples of the Choir in Humms and Vowels, and most importantly...it includes the scooped notes. When a black gospel choir sings notes straight, they really don't sound black at all. It was quite a challenge to do multisamples and keep it sounding "black". The loose approach of the choir singing in a black gospel choir is the polar opposite of the classical approach, which lends itself much better to sampling. The Gospel stuff we did was very tough to do, and required the most bizarre and unique sampling session I've ever done! (but the most fun too)

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by evaclear
    I love it Eric! All your products are out of this world- literally.

Was that Tommy Walker i heard in the backgroud?

Cheers
    Thanks!

No...Tommy's funky, but he'd be the first guy to admit that he's a white boy from El Paso! When we've had a black choir playing with us at church sometimes, they sometimes like to call him "Chocolate Tommy"!

That group I sampled for VP is the Imani Fellowship Choir from downtown Seattle.

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Thanks!

No...Tommy's funky, but he'd be the first guy to admit that he's a white boy from El Paso! When we've had a black choir playing with us at church sometimes, they sometimes like to call him "Chocolate Tommy"!

That group I sampled for VP is the Imani Fellowship Choir from downtown Seattle.

spectrum
    hehe you're right in the hub of all 'specrums' of gospel by the sounds of things. Keep up the great work.
    evaclear
    Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm...

My Stuff

hi spectrum

i think it was more or less it wasnt what i was looking for...... i've an idea for an xmas song in my head, i wanted to mix celtic intruments, black gospels and an orchestra and i can hear the ooh's im just fussy. i think maybe what im looking for is a 3 black vocalists to do the ooh's

Thanks tho

ike,

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have tried numerous times to get those Gospel Ohh's and Ahh's to work in a track.

But hears the deal...

They are very well recorded, in a great church type hall, but I'm willing to bet you're wanting to hear some individual vibrato cutting through. VP's Gospel Ohh's and Ahh's have a bit too much "large group" sound to them to pull that type of thing off. Plus, that disk was done at a time when hardware samplers (and their finite amount of limited RAM) were the rule, not the exception. That means the sung notes were looped a lot sooner than necessary with today's technology, and adds to the "synthetic" texture some would say they posess. (would you agree with that statement Eric?)

Anyhow, I did a track about 4 months ago that I had used VP's Gospel Ohh's and Ahh's on. I then brought in one (yes 1) session vocalist (who happens to excel on this type of stuff), and I had him duplicate the parts. 12 tracks in all (3 on each part).

The result was absolutely phenomenal. It had all the "large Group in a church" vibe I could have ever hoped for (and been impossible to get with one vocalist in a studio booth), yet all the detail, vibrato and emotion from a "real" singer.

To me, that's how you get the most out of a library like VP.

My 2 cents...

Go Back to forum