• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: RMX-Can you use Slice & Groove modes simultaneously

Share/Bookmark

Question RMX-Can you use Slice & Groove modes simultaneously

Everyone,

Can you have channels 1-3 in slice mode, and channels 4-6 in groove mode for triggering?

I'm assuming the only way to trigger multiple loops (say, in song mode- verse chorus,etc.) using Groove Control, is to have each loop on a different channel? And if you need more than 8 different loops, you need to open another instance of RMX?

Wow!

Thanks,

Mr. A.

Re: RMX-Can you use Slice & Groove modes simultaneously

Sure...MIDI Mode is per part, not a Global assignment.

spectrum

That's 8 Groove menus, or 6 Grooves and 2 Slices, or...

With 8 Groove menus open, you can trigger up to 8 simultaneous grooves or parts.

Suggestion. Break your song into 'concept' parts, may be verse chorus or just hard/soft/double feel, etc. or maybe the snares you need on track one, hats on two. Create User Favorite groups from the Groove Elements or add-on sets - Rex or expansion - with each set of parts you need on one of the tracks, open it as a Groove menu. Do the same with the rest of the parts, 'sectionalize' them. You'll have lots to play with and choose from.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Quote Originally Posted by thesoundsmith
    That's 8 Groove menus, or 6 Grooves and 2 Slices, or...

With 8 Groove menus open, you can trigger up to 8 simultaneous grooves or parts.
    Quite a bit more than that actually.

A Groove Menu can have up to 48 grooves on one part, so that's 8X48 or 384 grooves ready for playing in a single RMX instance (RAM permitting of course)

spectrum

This is a great question...and I'm glad it's per part.

What I'm doing is remixing a song...where I've sampled most of the phrases etc etc. I'll use most of those samples one one part/track in groove menu midi mode (rolls off the tongue quite nicely, doesn't it?) and the one measure I'm interested in using chaos with...i'll keep it in it's own part/track in slice mode.

Whew!

Quote Originally Posted by djmoose
    groove menu midi mode (rolls off the tongue quite nicely, doesn't it?) Whew!
    yes it does-my favourite part in the tutorial videos is the one where the difference between groove menu midi mode and slice menu midi mode is explained.
    Sounds like Monty Phython!

Hans

ok, now I am a bit lost... Eric where did this number 48 come from?
    I always thought it was 61.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

The number of elements you can add to the Current Favorites suite is limited to 48. This helps ensure the suite is loadable and playable in groove menu mode.

- Glenn

Was this changed since the video tutorials came out? I knew I didn't imagine it, and was just playing back module 17, Sage Converter utility, around 9:02 seconds where I clearly hear eric say make sure you dont' import more than 61 loops per suite when doing the rex convert to allow it to be played in Groove menu mode.
    rsp
    richard sven
    sound sculptist
    ------------------
    Nuendo 4.3 | Intel DP35DP : Intel Quad Core QX 6700 : 4GB RAM | Windows XP Pro SP3 | Lynx Two C | Midisport 2x2 | 2xUAD-1, UAD-2 Quad |

Cubase 4.5.2 | MacBookPro 2.16 Ghz | 10.6.3 | 2GB | TC Konnekt 8

Hi.

Importing Rex files with the Sage Converter and adding Elements to the Current Favorites Suite inside RMX are two different functions.

61 is the max number of Rex files that can be converted at once. (As you mentioned, this was in the video.)

48 is the max number of Elements that can be added to the Current Favorites Suite. Once the Current Favorites is full, the button changes to say "FULL!" and does not allow any more additions until it is saved. (Saving the Current Favorites clears the Current Favorites Suite.)

Cheers.
    -gabe

Go Back to forum