• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Howard Shore and Games

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Howard Shore and Games

Well, if we needed any proof of the legitimacy of games and game music, one only need look as far as this latest story of Academy Award winner and Lord of the Rings composer Howard Shore scoring a game:

http://www.music4games.net/n_howardshore_sun_npr.html

OK Howard, you have made the point for us. Now go back to movies; go score "The Hobbit" or something.

Now game producers need to get over this notion that to get a Hollywood score, they have to hire a Hollywood composer. Ridiculous.

Doyle W. Donehoo, Composer
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Re: Howard Shore and Games

Yeah - he should get a real job or something... [Houston scurries to find Peter Jackson's phone number in his Rolodex]
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

OK Howard, you have made the point for us. Now go back to movies; go score "The Hobbit" or something.
    I'm sure many film composers said relatively the same thing to Michael Giachinno...
    Now game producers need to get over this notion that to get a Hollywood score, they have to hire a Hollywood composer.Ridiculous.
    I know there are plenty of talented composers in games, but geez, if you can get Howard Shore to do your score, and afford it, why not? He's just as talented as most game composers I know. He's paid his career dues. I really don't see anything ridiculous about it. Sure it's one less game that's available for a "game" composer, but would you turn down a film gig because of your background if Peter Jackson called you up? Are there any game composers out there that have the rights over Howard Shore to score a game?
    Heck, I hear that Peter himself is working on the King Kong game with Ubisoft, should he just stick with what he's done previously, film?
    Maybe it's time we look at things a bit more globally and classify ourselves as composers. Yes we do games, but I would hate to be limited to just that, as I'm sure Howard would agree. Sure there's a bit of Hollywood attached, but I'm sure that won't hurt the title any, and I'm sure the game producer knows that as well.

Tim

Post Re: Howard Shore and Games

Quote Originally Posted by dwdonehoo
    Well, if we needed any proof of the legitimacy of games and game music, one only need look as far as this latest story of Academy Award winner and Lord of the Rings composer Howard Shore scoring a game:

http://www.music4games.net/n_howardshore_sun_npr.html

Now game producers need to get over this notion that to get a Hollywood score, they have to hire a Hollywood composer. Ridiculous.

Hi Doyle,

Actually, I don't think there's anyone better qualified to deliver a "Hollywood" score than an established Hollywood composer, particularly if the budget of the project allows it.

On the flipside of this coin, Howard Shore is no more out of place scoring a video game than a video game composer is venturing into either television or film scoring. And yet, it's happening more and more, particularly since video games are becoming more cinematic and their budgets are soaring.

The fact that this developer was able to hire Howard Shore is interesting, as is the fact that Shore displayed any interest in scoring a video game. However, as with all aspects of production, I think it really comes down to finances and if a production can afford a major Hollywood composer whose work is known and in this case, universally lauded, then they will choose that composer over composers who may typically be sought after in the video game world. And I don't mean to open a can of worms, but it's not often one hears the scope of someone like Shore's work in a video game, so if anything, it will be a refreshing and welcome experience.

Best wishes,

Kaveh

www.kavehcohen.con

I love Howard, especially since he is a DP user

Peace

Rik

I think this is a great evolution for games. The sooner we have more quality in games the better. The legitimacy of game music has only to do with the well earned reputation of poorly produced music. When all games have as high a production standard as films do, then it will get the reputation it deserves. I can't believe I'm still hearing some of the midi stuff that I hear in some recently released games. Maybe having to contend with Howard Shore scores is the kind of motivation game developers need to allocate more resources to the actual production of the score.
    -Jamey

Cool Re: Howard Shore and Games

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    I think this is a great evolution for games....The legitimacy of game music has only to do with the well earned reputation of poorly produced music. ...I can't believe I'm still hearing some of the midi stuff that I hear in some recently released games.-Jamey
    Despite the fact my post was a bit tongue in cheek (hey, Shore is one of my favorite composers!), there is some element of truth in what I wrote. I believe the quote above is true. With the tools available today (which were not available in the days when game music earned its "reputation of poorly produced music"), there is not now an excuse for poorly produced music.

There is nothing at all ridiculous about H. Shore doing game music (I was not implying that), just the notion that to get the "Hollywood Sound" you have to use a Hollywood composer. I am sure game, movie, TV and indie composers around the world would not agree and there are many just as good or better than the majority of composers living in LA and Hollywood. In a different class are the big budget composers, and the fact some game companies can afford them says something, hence the the idea of the legitimacy of game music as an art form rivaling film music.

And as a matter of fact, there is a notion in the minds of major game producers (in particular in the mind of one very major game company head) that they must use Hollywood composers, well known if possible. Sure, there is some status gained, but mostly their reason is they think they can get the sound only with a Hollywood composer. If y'all are content with that...well OK!

(If you want some proof of what I say, then perhaps I can get someone who knows first hand to write on this subject. You don't have to take my word for it.)

Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

I think its so ironic ( in a funny way) that H. Shore is now viewed as a "Hollywood" composer. I still think of him as David Cronenbergs 1st choice composer ( they must have made at least half a dozen pictures together), and CBC composer , back when he was making very Canadian style movies and scores. I mean he so freakin Torontoian ! This is the guy who used to play sax with Lighthouse! oOne of the most "Canadian" sounding bands! He just comped that style to be able to do what hes doing now..believe me , he grew into that "hollywood" style of writing.. his early work is nothing like that. Which of course doesn take anything away from how brilliant he is.. Rich

It's not about "the sound", Doyle. It has to do with calber and vision, though I'm not surprised that you think this way given many of the statements I've read from you in the past. If you think there are so many "just as good" composers just lying around the world then I'd have to argue that. If they're so great, why aren't they climbing the hill in Hollywood? Being great isn't about counterpoint or clever ostinatos, sample libraries or anything else in that insignificant realm. It's about clarity of vision and the refinement of an artistic voice. It's also about how good you are at getting your voice heard and establishing your legitimacy. I've listened to hundreds of demos from these so called "just as good" composers with all of their wonderful sounding sample libraries and either we're listening to different things or you're dazzled by the fidelity and are overlooking the lack of caliber that I hear. I mostly just hear a bunch of overzealous technicians with the capacity to write a lot of meaningless notes. Everyone seems just so pleased with themselves that they can make "orchestral sounding" music that they fill their demos up with "that sound" and forget that music has the capacity to say something very meaningful, and doesn't have to necessarily come in the wannabe wrapper.

Steve hires seasoned composers for a reason, Doyle. And if you think he lacks vision for that then you need to change your perspective. If you really knew the life of the Hollywood composer and you understood the struggle and sacrifices that we make on a daily basis in this town, you'd think differently. You'd understand why it isn't just about the making of the music but everything around it. I don't believe you're going to understand much about this world from San Jose because you're just not in it.
    -Jamey

Lightbulb Re: Howard Shore and Games

Quote Originally Posted by IOComposer
    It's not about "the sound", Doyle.... If you think there are so many "just as good" composers just lying around the world then I'd have to argue that. -Jamey
    I believe in the mind of some, it is "the sound" and style.

Also, I made the point of "most composers" and "the big budget composers", and I believe there is a difference between them. I also think there are composers in and out of the LA basin who believe what they do is based on their talent and abilities, not their present location.

OBTW, for all. Lets debate the issues. There is no need at all to get personal. This has the makings of a good discussion. Lets stay on the high road.
    Radar Music
    www.doylewdonehoo.com

Go Back to forum