• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: More Colossus talk

Share/Bookmark

Cool More Colossus talk

So.. has anyone used Colossus? Is it user friendly? I don't have much experience with any samplers or how to put samples in to make a keyboard play the different notes on the different keys.
    I think I'm getting a PCR50 or some such (reviews looked pretty good for the PC recording aspect). I want awesome piano sounds and acoustic sounding drums, and I want to stay far from sounding like Techno. I want to record my guitar and use Colossus (with the PCR50) for drums/piano/maybe bass, and I want it to sound like a live band. Is this plausible?

I heard some of the sample mp3s from Colossus, I didn't hear any solid acoustic piano. Did I just not listen to the right sample? Or.. is it just assumed that the piano is going to be amazing?

Smooches,
    Toby

Re: More Colossus talk

keep in mind that for good piano sound a weighted 88key master keyboard is essential. Smaller keyboards simply cannot achieve the same level expressivity range. And with modern multi gigabyte, multi velocity layer piano libraries it becomes even more apparent.
    On el cheapo keyboards you often hit the maximum midi velocity (127) too early or there is some unwanted jumping, eg you play ppp notes and the velocity stays almost zero, as soon as you play a bit stronger velocity suddenly jumps up to 50-80, killing off significant part of the piano's expressivity, no matter how good the samples are.
    Or perhaps you plan to program piano pieces manually with the piano roll editor in the sequencer ? Since composer can do quite some offline sequencing magic using orchestral samples perhaps it can be done with pianos too.

cheers,
    Benno

What is one of the good modern multi-gigabyte multi-velocity piano libraries? And what is a good 88-key controller?

Thanks!
    Toby

Quote Originally Posted by sbenno
    On el cheapo keyboards you often hit the maximum midi velocity (127) too early or there is some unwanted jumping, eg you play ppp notes and the velocity stays almost zero, as soon as you play a bit stronger velocity suddenly jumps up to 50-80, killing off significant part of the piano's expressivity, no matter how good the samples are.
    Even though Edirol PCR-50 isn't exactly el cheapo, i have to agree with you absolutely sbenno . I have PCR-50 and lots of problems with the ppp range where....nothing sounds at all ! There is no "playing soft and enjoying it" with that keyboard.
    The only way i was able to get around that was by drawing custom velocity curves in Kontakt ( Where everything from 0 to ~20 velocity = 20 velocity). But still... doesn't feel the same and you have to program it for each patch which is annoying. Also , the FFF is so hard to reach so you find yourself playing weird , hitting the keys hard with not much expression.

I believe the Yamaha keyboards have nice response from personal experience even though the keys are a bit soft feeling . Even better, a keyboard that lets you adjust sensitivity.

Best way to buy keyboard : go to your local store and try out all the keyboards for at least 20 minutes each , no less . I didn't
    Theo Krueger - Composer

www.TheoKrueger.com

Kontakt 2 Scripts

Quote Originally Posted by Tobuscus
    What is one of the good modern multi-gigabyte multi-velocity piano libraries? And what is a good 88-key controller?

Thanks!
    Toby
    I think some people think that the best piano library around is Ivory..... at 30 GB it better be

although it seems many disagrees. Personally I couldn't give a rats arse. I'm perfectly happy with the piano I have in EWQLSO Silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito
    I think people generally agree that the best piano library around is Ivory..... at 30 GB it better be
    I think lots of people would include Ivory as one of the best, but there is no consensus on THE best. Some like it dark, some light. Some want somber, some bright. Then there's honky tonk, funky electric pianos and so on...

From what I've read, the real piano junkies have many pianos, and have yet to find that perfect one. SampleTekk, Post Musical Instruments, VintAudio and Bardstown all make great piano libs. (And I'm sorry if I left anybody off the list!) But the best is a matter of opinion.

-JF

I went to a music store and tried out a Studiologic 88 key keyboard, maybe an SL-990XP. That was the only keyboard controller they had for me to play around on though, so I didn't get to compare really. Ivory sounds nice, but it's just for Mac for now, I'm a PC guy.

I'll definitely check out the others you mentioned. I guess I should buy a drumset sample pack, a nice set of grand piano samples, and some nice bass guitar samples. I'll probably end up using Kontakt 2 I think, and I wish Acid was better with MIDIs... I'm used to its setup. I'll try Acid first because that's what I have now, but what would be a better choice? I don't want to edit the MIDI all that much; if anything I'd rather rerecord it until it's perfect like I do with guitar.

Thanks for the suggestions!
    Toby

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito
    I think people generally agree that the best piano library around is Ivory..... at 30 GB it better be
    Well there ya go.
    Most agree its the best, yet so few have it!

Jon's right. The upcoming Art Vista piano is the smoothest, richest piano I've heard, but I probably wouldn't use it for everything. Post's Bosendorfer 290 is incredible for a concert sound and it blends with orchestral samples really well, but it wouldn't work for a contemporary piano sound. All three of Ivory's pianos sound fantastic, and it's mapped to the keyboard amazingly well, but the other libs - and possibly others I have't heard, such as Worras - are going to sound better in some contexts.

They all sound different. That doesn't mean you *have* to go out and buy them all, but you should be aware that there are differences.

Go Back to forum