• Register
  • Help

Topic: Community Access TV show rates?

Share/Bookmark
    Banned

Community Access TV show rates?

I have an opportunity to write closing credits music (30 seconds) and a 60 second commercial for a community-access show that is distributed in 8 markets across the US and working on more. I'm just starting out with this whole music-for-money thing, and I really took to heart some discussions here a while back (if you do it for free, you get a reputation as someone who'll work for free).

So I don't know if there's any budget yet, and maybe that's the right question to ask: "What's your budget for this music?" Can anyone suggest sensible rates for around 60 to 90 seconds of music in such a situation?

Thanks all,
    Stefan

Re: Community Access TV show rates?

You might ask what their overall budget is. If it's zero, they'll probably be happy to give you 100%.

Usually there are no commercials on Community Access, so there's no funding source. The cable company generally donates the bandwidth and maybe some studio space and equipment, but that's as far as it usually goes.

It's possible that they received a grant to fund the project. If so, they'll probably be very open about its amount and how it's budgeted. That will give you an idea of what you can ask.

-JF

Banned

Thanks, Jon. Let's see what happens.

Getting waaaaaaaaaay ahead of myself, here's another question. If by some miracle this show got sampled by ASCAP, who would actually be responsible for paying the performance royalty? The cable company?

- Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by sbkp
    Thanks, Jon. Let's see what happens.

Getting waaaaaaaaaay ahead of myself, here's another question. If by some miracle this show got sampled by ASCAP, who would actually be responsible for paying the performance royalty? The cable company?

- Stefan
    Normally it's the cable channel (e.g. CNN, A&E, Discovery, The History Channel...), rather than the cable provider (Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox...). So, in this case the responsible party would be something like "Springfield Community Access Channel 34". That channel may be owned by the City of Springfield, or the local Cable company, the county, or might be a non-profit corporation. It might vary in each case.

Whomever it is, I'd bet they don't pay many royalties, because of the typically locally produced content. That doesn't mean that they would be exempt though.

It seems that you've found the gray area between commercial and free music for TV. Not a bad place to get started.

-JF

Go Back to forum