• Register
  • Help

Topic: Uneven Playback In SONAR & Overture

Share/Bookmark

Question Uneven Playback In SONAR & Overture

How can I get playback at an even tempo in SONAR and Overture? I tried everything that Cakewalk, Geniesoft and Creative Labs suggested, I'm using the right drivers, the buffers are all at 256 and I closed everything running in the background. I also have the latest drivers and updates for all hardware and software. But that tempo is still uneven. It will slow down, speed up,low down, speed up, etc.

Also, I have 1.5 GB of memory and a P4 2.4 GHz processor

Any way to fix it?

Re: Uneven Playback In SONAR & Overture

My first thought is: have you tried moving the latency slider in Sonar? This often reduces problems.

The only other thing I can think of is: are you by any chance using a template which somehow includes tempo changes from a previous recording? In other words, look in your Tempo View...

Terry

Yes, there's no reason your hardware setup should not be able to handle the software.

the buffers are all at 256
    Are you talking about the "number of buffers" setting in Sonar's audio dialogue? If so, I keep this at 2, and do not have trouble. Terry is correct that you should be looking at audio latency (the one marked in milliseconds). Turn that up to see what you get.

In general, when I'm pushing my machine too hard, I don't get tempo problems at all, but instead get dropouts. So I suspect something else is at play here.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Yep, I tried moving the latency slider around. My understanding is that the latencies in Garritan and SONAR must match, which is what I'm doing.

Since I posted this inquiry, I have experimented with other instrumentations using the same setup. I was having the uneven playback problem with the Steinway Piano and Steinway Piano Lite. Using other instruments, however, does not produce this problem. Hmmmm...

Are you using GPO standalone? If you have Sonar, just use the VST and or DXI plugins. There is no latency slider on those plugins, so there's nothing to match.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Talking Re: Uneven Playback In SONAR & Overture

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw
    Are you using GPO standalone? If you have Sonar, just use the VST and or DXI plugins. There is no latency slider on those plugins, so there's nothing to match.
    Aha! Now THAT I haven't tried yet. I just did and now my troubles are over. Before, I would just start GPO and then SONAR. Playback is now smooth. Thanks!

Go Back to forum