• Register
  • Help

Topic: Happy Birthday Tchaikovsky

Share/Bookmark

Happy Birthday Tchaikovsky

May 7th is Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky's 165th Birthday!

Tchaikovsky is one of my favorite composers. His ballets, symphonies, operas and overtures are some of the most recognized in the world.
    In celebration of his birthday, here is a link to the Nutcracker ballet done with GPO. Nutcracker Player courtesy of Joseph Burrell.

http://www.gpo-uploads.com/NutcrackerIndex.htm

(Here is a direct link to the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy - http://www.garritan.com/mp3/SugarPlum_Fairy.mp3)

And Here is Tchaikovsk'y Suite No.1 Opus 43
    http://www.garritan.com/mp3/nd-Tchai...ite1Opus43.mp3

What do you think about Tchaikovsky's work?

Enjoy!

Gary Garritan

Re: Happy Birthday Tchaikovsky

How can one not love the music of Tchaikovsky? Happy Birthday! His music has been an inspiration for me. The GPO renditions are wonderful!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    What do you think about Tchaikovsky's work?
    I wouldn't know where to begin.

The level of emotionalism in some of his works is unparalleled.

By his fourth symphony, he had perfected a certain type of transparent orchestral compostion approach pioneered by Glinka, an approach continued by Shostakovich.

When Stravinsky was a boy, he went to the opera house to see his father sing in the chorus of an opera, and in the lobby his mother pointed out to him that just a few feet away, Tchaikovsky was standing having a conversation with someone. Stravinsky recalled being in awe.

Shortly after seeing Mustel unveil his new invention called a "celeste", Tchaikovsky saw the potential in this instrument and wrote the famous part for it in The Nutcracker ballet, and by so doing he single-handedly legitimized and popularized its use and adoption into the orchestra.

But most important is that his music can go deep inside the listener in a very profound way.

What a shame that he died too soon, and the world was deprived of more.

Happy Birthday Pyotr.

Last week I got to play Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony. One of my favorites for as long as I can remember, especially the second movement. Gorgeous!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

oh yea...happy birthday mr tchaikovsky! one of the biggest in the musician's universe.

recently I came accross some cd offers...also thaikovsky cds for 1.50 bucks. somehow i was delighted cause I always have to buy low budget....but on the other hand it hurted: just imagine that you have a talent of his size. and years later they practically give away your stuff where you've worked for months/years on.

well well. that's what it is all probably about. music/ideas is about sharing and not earning money...there are some things in life that imply that they are meant to share and not to sell...

Quote Originally Posted by GigaLove
    oh yea...happy birthday mr tchaikovsky! one of the biggest in the musician's universe.

recently I came accross some cd offers...also thaikovsky cds for 1.50 bucks. somehow i was delighted cause I always have to buy low budget....but on the other hand it hurted: just imagine that you have a talent of his size. and years later they practically give away your stuff where you've worked for months/years on.

well well. that's what it is all probably about. music/ideas is about sharing and not earning money...there are some things in life that imply that they are meant to share and not to sell...
    In a way it is positive actually - our money can no longer help Tchaikovsky, he doesn't need it. The best thing you can do for him is to help diffuse his work as widely as possible!

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    May 7th is Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky's 165th Birthday!
    Gosh, I hope I sound that good when I'm his age.

etLux
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by scottnorma
    Shortly after seeing Mustel unveil his new invention called a "celeste", Tchaikovsky saw the potential in this instrument and wrote the famous part for it in The Nutcracker ballet, and by so doing he single-handedly legitimized and popularized its use and adoption into the orchestra.
    Picture this.... you're in a music store and a salesperson is demoing the sounds of a keyboard, and he comes across the celeste, what notes are played?

G, E, G, F#, Eb, E, D, D, D, C#, C#, C#, C, C, C, B, E, C, E, B

Those GPO demos are really great! Especially the Dance Of The Sugar Plum Fairy!

oh yea,
    Happy Birthday Tchaikovsky!

Dan

Oh gosh! Mr. Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Really now, I love his work so much. What he did for music in his lifetime and his symphony No 6 'Pathetique'. I know he composed a lot, but I love No 6, the pain, the heart ache, and the beauty. I'm getting teary eyed just thinking of that wonderful symphony. I'm going to listen to it right now. Thank you for all the outstanding and extraordinary music Tchaikovsky and Happy Birthday
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Happy birthday, Chycousky!

I especially love his Romeo and Juliet. We're playing that in our orchestra. We stink at it, but when played right it's utterly amazing!!

-Chris

Go Back to forum