• Register
  • Help

Topic: Happy Birthday Brahms!

Share/Bookmark

Happy Birthday Brahms!

We can't leave Brahms out! May 7th is his birthday as well. He was actually born seven years before Tchaikovsky (and he outlived him as well).

Brahms has given us some of the most beautiful and memorable melodies.

Happy Birthday Brahms!

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Happy Birthday Brahms!

Like the lullaby. Which is really what we both probably need right about now since we're both still awake

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Like the lullaby. Which is really what we both probably need right about now since we're both still awake
    Indeed! My backwards sleeping schedule . . .
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Interesting. I hadn't realized that Brahms and Tchaikovsky shared a birthday. Too bad they hated each other's music. I remember that Tchaikovsky called Brahms a "scoundrel," a "self-inflated mediocrity," and a "giftless bastard." (I don't remember what Brahms said about Tchaikovsky.)

Notwithstanding their opinions of each other, both composers have been favorites of mine. I got to play Brahms' Second Symphony a couple of months ago (it was on the same program as my piano concerto, in fact). A beautiful work, but I think my favorite Brahms symphony is his first.

13 years ago, I was asked to play viola in Brahms' G minor Piano Quartet. I became friendly with the pianist in the group, and 7 months later I married her! Since then, I've always referred to the Brahms G minor Piano Quartet as "our song."
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum