• Register
  • Help

Topic: Counterpoint and chorales... up for it?

Share/Bookmark

Counterpoint and chorales... up for it?

Hello all! I'm finally done with my Music Theory 4 and sight singing/ear training 4 classes and I will be moving on to another university in the fall to major in theory and composition. My plan is to compose an 8 or 16 bar chorale every day until the summer semester starts (in 2 weeks.) I wrote one today and I used all the material I learned in theory 4 (+6 chords, all the modulation methods, secondary functions, etc.)

The reason I am writing this message is to find another composer who would have the time to check my work and also let me check their work. I know that checking and analyzing is a really awesome way to learn and I think this would be fun and it would also keep my skills up until school. I can send my chorales in: jpg, pdf, Overture, Finale, or Sibelius format.

When I write my chorlaes I give myself a list of things I must do in the chorale. For example, I must have: 4 suspensions, first cadence is deceptive, second cadence is phrygian half cadence, use all the +6 chords twice, etc. Please let me know if anyone is up for this. Thank you for your time.
    http://www.jamesjumonville.com

Captain Hook (if you see Pan let me know!)

Re: Counterpoint and chorales... up for it?

If you are doing Theory and Composition don't neglect your more experimental music too... I am starting my Masters in the same subject this fall, but I need to brush up on my Music History before I start the 500 level courses! Otherwise, I would help. Why don't you just post them and let the community check your counterpoint? There are quite a few counterpoint and theory guys (and girls) here. All the different backgrounds of Theory here will be helpful to you adjusting to another professor's ideas on Music Theory.

Good luck, I can't wait to get back into the academic game myself. (University of Tennessee this fall!!)
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Hey Jess! Thanks for the reply. I understand the the time situation and it's odd that I actually have a little extra time myself, but like I said I'll be back into it all in about two weeks. The thing is that I don't want to take a break I would love to post my chorales if it isn't too off-topic here. If it is ok I will do so. I just have to figure out how to do it since I don't have my webpage up anymore... Thanks again.

Whatever else you do in composing chorales, make sure you do this (if you aren't already):

Write each voice on its own staff. Don't compose a four-part chorale, or four-part anything for that matter on a grand staff. Each line gets its own staff. If you need to hand it in for a class on the grand staff, then just copy it over later. If anyone tells you this needn't be done, tell them that this is how Bach insisted on teaching his students. It helps to emphasize the linear aspect of a chorale, which is very often neglected in lieu of an overemphasis on the harmony and overall chordal texture. And if you're comfortable with the C-clef in its various positions, it's advisable to write the alto part in alto clef, and the tenor part in tenor clef.

Quote Originally Posted by scottnorma
    Whatever else you do in composing chorales, make sure you do this (if you aren't already):

Write each voice on its own staff. Don't compose a four-part chorale, or four-part anything for that matter on a grand staff. Each line gets its own staff. If you need to hand it in for a class on the grand staff, then just copy it over later. If anyone tells you this needn't be done, tell them that this is how Bach insisted on teaching his students. It helps to emphasize the linear aspect of a chorale, which is very often neglected in lieu of an overemphasis on the harmony and overall chordal texture. And if you're comfortable with the C-clef in its various positions, it's advisable to write the alto part in alto clef, and the tenor part in tenor clef.
    And if you aren't comfortable with the C clef, then it is advisable that you become comfortable with it if you intend on dealing with live humans, and/or have any interest in conducting.

Thumbs up Re: Counterpoint and chorales... up for it?

Quote Originally Posted by capt_hook
    Hello all! I'm finally done with my Music Theory 4 and sight singing/ear training 4 classes and I will be moving on to another university in the fall to major in theory and composition. My plan is to compose an 8 or 16 bar chorale every day until the summer semester starts (in 2 weeks.) I wrote one today and I used all the material I learned in theory 4 (+6 chords, all the modulation methods, secondary functions, etc.)

The reason I am writing this message is to find another composer who would have the time to check my work and also let me check their work. I know that checking and analyzing is a really awesome way to learn and I think this would be fun and it would also keep my skills up until school. I can send my chorales in: jpg, pdf, Overture, Finale, or Sibelius format.

When I write my chorlaes I give myself a list of things I must do in the chorale. For example, I must have: 4 suspensions, first cadence is deceptive, second cadence is phrygian half cadence, use all the +6 chords twice, etc. Please let me know if anyone is up for this. Thank you for your time.
    I'm a choral music teacher. Of course I was a choral music student!

Let us have your works, I will be happy exchanging opinions/suggestions, and also sending some old homeworks to you. Just let me know!

What about moving the work in our GPO academy section?

I posted my reply in the GPO Academy section. Please click on this link to go to the post:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=34312

Go Back to forum