• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How my 10 days-grace period lasted 45 minutes... and other amazing tales.....

Share/Bookmark

How my GS3 10 days-grace period lasted 45 minutes... and other amazing tales.....

Chapter 1 :
    I just re-installed my GS3 Orch on my new PC/new clean drive.
    Every re-installed thing else has been working rock solid on this new PC for more than one day (Kontakt 2, V-stack, Gold, Mol CP, my Gina 24 audiocard, etc.) , so I decided that the "beta-test" period of hardware/software was over, and I might rightfully try to re-install Giga itself.
    ---------
    Chapter 2 :
    I (successfully said the installer) installed GS3, and immediately followed the procedure to obtain the registration #.
    Simultaneously, I started to give GS3 a try.
    First, rebuild the quicksound database,
    and... first crash.....
    ---------
    Chapter 3 :
    Okay, database re-build, midi coming in, but no sound.
    So next step, trying to troubleshoot the audio problem.
    From that point, I experienced about 10 BSOD as soon as I tried to change parameters in GS settings.
    No problem, let's relax : I was using the same audio card, same other softs that were also installed and co-existed peacefully with GS on my previous machine, and I was ready to spend a few hours -and maybe the night- to find out what caused those BSODs, BUT...
    ---------
    Chapter 4 :
    ...... After one (more) re-boot and re-launch of giga, a quite surprising and challenging message, telling me that the registration # (that I had NOT entered yet, since not received from Tascam !) has been "updated", and that I (please) have to re-enter a new one (kindly provided in the message.... (based on what???).
    Quite fascinating for a grace-period, isn't it ?
    ---------
    Chapter 5 :
    After this message, no more way to open GS3 in grace period mode : the "register later" option had vanished, and the "cancel" option just made GS quit. The only way left was then to obey the prompt to register....... 45 minutes after installing Giga, which was supposed to run without a reg # during TEN days !!!
    --
    Fortunately (at least that's what I thought), I had received in between a mail from Tascam, with the reg #, plus a rather cold message telling me that my request for a new registration # was "unusual" and I should contact Tascam support.
    Indeed, I did request from Tascam before that day :
    a) a 1st reg #, upon installing GS3 for the 1st time on my previous machine,
    b/ a 2nd reg # a few weeks later...
    Why ? Because of exactly the same problem as in chapter 4 : an unexplained and unrequested registration # "update" decided by GS3 deep guts, based on who-knows which rules... (absolutely nothing at all had changed in my setup when this happened, and this has been related on this very forum by myself and other users, and this seems to be a bug in the authorize scheme)
    ----
    And, of course, today, for my current new PC, I requested a 3rd one.....
    So it seems that, for 3 authorizations requests in 6 months, I'm now on some black list of people likely to be suspected of doing some kind of parallel business/black market with undue reg #s.....
    --------
    Chapter 6 :
    So, in order to re-open GS and find the cause of my BSOD, I entered :
    -first, the freshly received reg #. It gave me an "auth-return error" message, and GS quit.
    -second, the "updated" rg # which was "provided" in the alert message described in chapter 4......and that I had (fortunately, I thought) noted. Elas, just giving exactly the same "auth-return error" message.
    ---
    Now you get the whole picture :
    after less than an hour of install, GS is now forbidden on my brand new machine, not even leaving me a chance to find out what was wrong in the setup.
    ---------
    Chapter 7 :
    Now the best :
    the "auth-return error" message gives me an invaluable tip : to contact Tascam support....
    Well, it's funny indeed :
    when I had my very first registration # update unexplained problem, I wrote a lengthy message to Tascam support, explaining everything, in order they explain me what might have hpappened, and/or they correct their authorization scheme, so that unexpected issues like this no longer happen to innocent people.
    ---
    It was months ago.
    I just got an automated notification 2 hours later from Tascam that my message to support was received and would be answered as soon as possible.
    I NEVER received any other reply, the only explanations and confirmations of the problem came from here.
    ----
    This is what really frightens me : this time, now that I have a real big problem (uninstall/re-install GS did not work, I'm still supposed to authorize immediatly in order to use the software), I cannot afford to wait months or weeks for a reply.
    -------
    Temporary END :
    so, does anybody here know the name and email adress of the guy who once was over here in Tascam's name, and had promised to help when support is failing ?
    I remember having read a thread about this long ago, but a "search" did not succeed, and this guy, whose name I do not recall, does not seem to appear here any longer.
    ---------
    Thanks in advance for any hint,
    and for those who had the courage to read my post to its end !

Re: How my 10 days-grace period lasted 45 minutes... and other amazing tales.....

Hello Sirbellog,

yes I had a problem like this myself as well...sort of.

After a crash (Gs3 works usually very stable until 85% ors so is loaded) which appeared during a save.

Guess what? Giga believes it is installed on new DAW-> New registration number and so on.

Tascams email answer was as you stated above...something with " this is not the behaviour of our users".

Yes this is frustrating -> yes this makes us guilty of something we even did NOT.

This is the only thing which makes me angry about TASCAM. Gs3 is great product, but the protection scheme is an insolence and buggy as hell.

Sirbellog you are NOT alone.

Maybe we should BUMP this thread until someone from TASCAM makes a response.

If I remember correctly the guy from TASCAM was Synthetic.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Re: How my 10 days-grace period lasted 45 minutes... and other amazing tales.....

By the way, here is the link to a thread about this problem

Reregistration
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Thanks a lot, Przemek,
    it's a relative relief to know that I'm not alone on the boat.
    But I do hope that Tascam will acknowledge the problem and reconsider their authorization scheme which does really seem to be buggy and puts users in difficult situations....
    Ys, I will bump the message untill something good happens.
    For now, no reply to my message from the so-called "support". I was not naive enough to hop for something in 24 hours, but this silence just keeps feeding the disapointment.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sirbellog
    Thanks a lot, Przemek,
    it's a relative relief to know that I'm not alone on the boat.
    But I do hope that Tascam will acknowledge the problem and reconsider their authorization scheme which does really seem to be buggy and puts users in difficult situations....
    Ys, I will bump the message untill something good happens.
    For now, no reply to my message from the so-called "support". I was not naive enough to hop for something in 24 hours, but this silence just keeps feeding the disapointment.
    Cheers

No problem, we are sitting in the same boat.

Hopefully the 3.1 patch will adress this mess.

So until then "BUMP" again.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

The email address listed on Tascam's site goes to no one. You best bet is to call them so you can talk to their one tech support guy, Chris. I think he's still there. Get his email address which appears to be the only one that gets to a tech support person.

I've also had GS3 unregister when nothing has changed in my system This is quite irritating.

I'd suggest looking for a crack to solve this issue. This is what people are forced to do to make better use of their purchase.
    I think those Tascam replies give out that warning after 3 requests. One weeked I did 5 of them because I thought they weren't getting thru. You couldn't get your code on in the weekend-so all 5 of them came on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    I'd suggest looking for a crack to solve this issue.
    It seems a little odd that posting a suggestion to pirate software is ok with the admins of the forum. I only bring it up because kitekrazy has suggested piracy (support of cracks), rather than solving the problem in a couple other posts as well.

- G

Quote Originally Posted by Gamera
    It seems a little odd that posting a suggestion to pirate software is ok with the admins of the forum. I only bring it up because kitekrazy has suggested piracy (support of cracks), rather than solving the problem in a couple other posts as well.

- G
    Maybe you are right, but if a person has a "legit" copy and cannot make a use of it then what?
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

Unhappy Re: How my 10 days-grace period lasted 45 minutes... and other amazing tales.....

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn
    The email address listed on Tascam's site goes to no one. You best bet is to call them so you can talk to their one tech support guy, Chris. I think he's still there. Get his email address which appears to be the only one that gets to a tech support person.

I've also had GS3 unregister when nothing has changed in my system This is quite irritating.
    Haydn, I'm living far away in France,
    so, a 10/30 minutes international phone call is not the best option for me as long as a small hope for a reply survives (just upgraded my PC + some new libraries purchase = no more money).
    -----
    But if anyone here can get me Chris' email adress, I'll be grateful !
    -----
    This being said, I cannot even figure out how something as huge as Tascam can afford to have such a sucking support : if really support requests go nowhere, this is by far (to my knowledge) the worst company ever.
    -----
    So to sum up the situation, I have now a legit copy of a software which now refuses to open without a registration #, while I never did anything illegal or just abusive (and of course no reply from tascam so far) .
    And I will add that, among the 4 reg # requests I made,
    - 1 was unavoidable (1st install)
    - 2 of them were entirely by the software fault (with its reg # random "updates")
    - and , at last, 1 that I'm supposed to be guilty of (by building a newer computer and thus needing a new install).....
    It is GREAT time that they listen to users and change their authorization scheme.
    By comparison, deactivating and re-authorizing my Native Insts softwares/instruments was really painless and fast !!
    -----
    What makes me bitter, is that my Kontakt 2 really works well on my new machine.... but I also happen to own a lot of VSL libraries in GS format, for which I would have to buy Kontakt side licenses, to be able to use all the included performance instruments (= a few hundreds of $).
    If it was not that, I would drop Giga right now and go N.I all the way.
    -----
    So, just an advice for prospective buyers :
    if you are out to decide which sampler to get, think twice : Giga is a very good sampler, but is it really so much better that you must endure all the potential consequences of Tascam's attitude ? It's not to me to give a defintive answer, but if you have some time left before buying, maybe wait a little longer to see which way Tascam goes about that.
    -----
    As for piracy, I would not go down that road anyway for many reasons, but I hope that bumping this message regularly will in the end draw the attention of *someone* at Tascam and make them ashamed enough to react and find a satisfying way out for me, and for every people who, sooner or later, will face the same problem.

Go Back to forum