• Register
  • Help

Topic: bosesndorfer 290, release question

Share/Bookmark

bosesndorfer 290, release question

I'm a newbie to this suff, so I am hoping this is a really silly question.

I have the bosendorfer 290, and am using the version of kompakt that comes with it.

Everything sounds great. Except one thing.

Playing a single note quickly. There is no release on it. It just cuts off.
    If I hold the note down, or if I am holding another note down, or pressing the sustain pedal, it sounds great.
    Just single note, no release.
    I've tried adjusting the the release in kompakt but it does't seem to change anything. I've tried hte long release sample too. Quick notes still cut off unnaturally.
    I have the latest updates , I think.
    Surely there is an easy answer?
    Thanks.

Re: bosesndorfer 290, release question

This is quite worrying. I'm about to buy the Bosendorfer. Anyone know what the problem could be?
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by $$$

I have the bosendorfer 290, and am using the version of kompakt that comes with it.

If I hold the note down, or if I am holding another note down, or pressing the sustain pedal, it sounds great.
    I've tried adjusting the the release in kompakt but it does't seem to change anything. I've tried hte long release sample too. Quick notes still cut off unnaturally.
    Thanks.
    Try adjusting the MOD WHEEL.
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration
    www.lawrencelougheed.com

I can see the modulation depth wheel move in kompakt, but the sound is still the same.

I use a yamaha clavinova 79 keyboard at the moment, weighted, 88 keys, feels like a piano, to drive my B290.

I'm not quite sure what you are experiencing, but the patch chosen for the B290 matters. I like best the one labeled "B290 Wet 16 Layer Rel", which I assume stands for Bosendorfer 290, Wet (reverb), 16 (velocity) layers (with) Release (trails)."

A quick stacatto note still has the expected sound.
    Andy Finkenstadt, WinXP, P4-2.8GHZ, 3GB, Sonar 4 PE, Sibelius 3. Yamaha CVP-79A.
    EWQL: Gold, GoldPro, Choirs, StormDrum. and Galaxy & Bosendorfer 290, and RealGuitar. And an empty bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by $$$

Thanks.

Hi,

Kip's Bardstown Borsendorfer sounds fine to me no matter how you strike the keys. In fact, I've banged it so hard that it never distorts. Kip has done a fine job with the velocities. Have you tried his product?

Alan Russell
    Please Visit My New & Revised Official Website Below

http://AlanRussell-Music.com

I have the Bosie 290 Kompakt player version. It is a very fine piano.
    I "think" I've heard something similar to what you are describing.
    When the "POLYPHONY" setting is set too low, and the DFD feature is not set right.....fast playing can cause instant note "drop offs".
    Play with those settings a bit. Keep testing, cuz what your describing should not be happening.

Make sure you get all the updates from NI pertaining to DFD, the Kompakt player, and any updates from PMI for the Bosie 290 plugin version. Try Xavier Bidaults' patches written for the B290. They are on the PMI website.

Anyhow, I just thought I'd mention that.

I have Kompakt and the Bos, and I never liked the combination. The Bos (still by far the most realistic piano on the market for a "classical recorded sound" in my view) works flawlessly on Gigasampler. I'm sure you can solve the problem, but WOW I find Kompakt a pain in the buttsky.

JG
    http://music.download.com/johngrant/...ng_song_artist

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll let you know when I have a solution. Unfortunately I have no other player, just the "free" included kompakt.
    Other than this problem it really is awsom though.

I've tried some different DFD settings, no good.
    Different patches, same problem.

I've put a paper weight on my lowest key. Problem solved, all notes play fine now.

Could be a memory issue too I suppose? I'm only using 1 gig.

Go Back to forum