• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Orchestral Passion" - by Josh Vinci

Orcas Island

"Orchestral Passion" - by Josh Vinci

Josh Vinci sent in this remarkable work.

This is an outstanding work - from the composition to the orchestral colors, arrangment and mix.

The Title of the work is "Orchestral Passion" and is inspired by Debney' and Vaughn Williams' rich orchestral styles. The instruments are 100% GPO. Josh used GPO Studio VST host and Finale to realize this work.

Let Josh know your comments and suggestions.

Thanks Josh for sharing this with us.

Gary Garritan

Re: "Orchestral Passion" - by Josh Vinci

I enjoyed this piece very much, very nice orchestration! There seem to be many textures and styles used throughout the piece, well done!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Josh, this is darned skillful orchestration... great control over and use of coloristic treatments and blending.

My congratulations on very effectively showing us how far you can take the GPO in this regard -- and on a fine composition, as well.

Houston, TX

thanks everyone, for your very nice compliments...i do appreciate it! that's what 's great about GPO and this forum - getting to hear all kinds of music from many different composers that we otherwise might never hear

Great work Josh!
    Is this really output directly from GPO Studio? Or is it mixed in another application. It is a wonderful room, what reverb was used (and settings)? etcetc...
    It would be nice to have a look at the Finale file, if possible? Did you use HP?

Best regards

Mats O Hansson

Excellent composition and orchestration with GPO, but I can't imagine that this was done with Finale and GPO Studio ALONE. It's good to hear that a wonderful work such as this was produced with a notation program, but there's got to be more to the story than this.........Any further info on what you did after composing in Finale would be very helpful to GPO composers using Finale (I'm not one of them, by the way).

A great offering, Josh.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Houston, TX

thanks so much, rhap and tangram...

actually, i recorded the harp and percussion together but separately from the rest of the orchestra - i only did this for memory purposes...and i did a simple mix using wave lab...the only tricky thing was making sure both recorded parts synced up (didn't think it would be a problem since they were being played from the exact same finale file - but it was), so i had to cut and realign at a point in the middle...

...the reverb is just the church setting from GPO, but i can't remember if i did any tailoring - maybe i brought the "wet" setting down a bit...?...but CPU was cranked to 100%....

...as for the finale file, i'm using an old version of finale w/o human playback...and i'm not savvy with midi controllers/designations (i'll learn)...so, i was very tedious with the dynamics, and faked some de/crecendos by staggering the dynamic markings - sometimes it's convincing and sometimes not...lack of velocity in the strings seems to be a problem with finale (even when setting the base velocity high in the playback controls), so i actually place accents over a lot of the string notes in the faster passages...

...i guess my finale playback techniques aren't very conventional, but it usually gets me the results i want without having a studio...that's the next step...

thanks very much for listening!!

You're absolutely amazing!

I wish that I could make my music sound like that This is a gorgeous piece. I hope that you post more soon. Excellent Work!!!

excellent! just an excellent composition. competent written and goes to the heart.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast