• Register
  • Help

Topic: Expression controllers

Share/Bookmark

Re: Expression controllers

The simple answer is yes, except the program change ctrl, it takes some basic General-MIDI control like you have described.

How does it work?
    Giga\'s just a sound-module
    The Peavey 1600\'s just a controller (like a keyboard contrl)
    you missed something between them!

In order to have them to be working together you will need a MIDI-SEQ program like cakewalk, cubase or logic (between)
    At the realtime, you should be able to use the P1600 via the SEQ like the pans and faders, you can see they move as you want when you move the P1600\'s controllers. However, the Giga won\'t remembers that what it has done when you restart it, the only way that you will also need to record it into the SEQ-program (same ways how you record a MIDI track)
    The P1600 is perfectly designed for the cakewalk (GUI-studio-ware\'s supported). It is so simple if you are familar with the cakewalk.
    Hope this helps

Expression controllers

I\'d like to know what real time continuous controllers anyone uses to control their Gigasampler/studio (volume, expression, etc.). I read that the Peavey 1600 does not record these in real time but must be edited afterward. True?

No problems, Giga doesn\'t care how you do it, as long as it reconizes any ctrl-events from the MIDI track (realtime or manual).
    Of course you can draw the graphic lines in the automation in certain tracks that you want (use PC mouse), the P1600 will gives you the feeling of real-mixer. The Giga will take transparently action through the cakewalk, during the playing songs between the cakewalk and Giga, try to move some faders from cakewalk mixer, you will see the giga\'s faders also to be responded.
    For testing and evaluated purpose, try to load the P1600-studio-ware-mixer (same Dir where is the Cakewalk\'s installed), you will have an idea that how it supposed to work before to purchase the real hardware. Please note that I don\'t have the P1600, I just have the Tascam, I think that the concept should be similar...Hope that I don\'t get it\'s wrongs.
    Good lucks
    You could mail me directly for further informs:
    lhong@aptix.com

Thanks for the tips. I\'ll check it out.

Thanks for the response.
    I do have Cakewalk. So with the Peavey - can I, for example, record a midi track along with expression controller (CC 11) so I can monitor as I record?
    Or must I draw in the controller signals afterward?

Go Back to forum