• Register
  • Help

Topic: Need help with a few basics.... please!!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation Need help with a few basics.... please!!

Hi, I'm ready to take the Gigastudio plunge and have been reading many forums to prepare. I've decided to run GS3 on a separate computer from my DAW.
    This is where the new territory is for me. I've built single machines before but I've not found any basic info on what goes where and how, when setting up a separate PC GS3.

What I want to do.... use Cakewalk or Sonar on my main DAW PC and use the separate PC to handle GS3... I'm mainly a midi guy but will occasionally will have live music to record. My DAW computer is using AMD 3200 on a ASUS A7N8X w/ 1gig RAM but I haven't bought any other sound related components or built the second system yet.......

So here are the newbie questions that need clarification about signal/info path layout....

- Do I need 2 sound cards? If not which PC gets it?
    - The midi controller (keyboard) connects to the DAW PC? yes?
    - I use my LAN to send data to GS3 PC ?
    - How does it get back to the DAW?
    - What equipment will I need to accomplish all this back and forth communication???

As you can see I'm a bit frustrated. Basically I just need someone to trace the paths that the data/music will travel and what equipment is needed on which machine to go from KEYBOARD > DAW > GS3 > DAW > OUTPUT.
    Once I understand the what/where/why I'll be fine.
    I really appreciate your help.

Re: Need help with a few basics.... please!!

So here are the newbie questions that need clarification about signal/info path layout....

- Do I need 2 sound cards? If not which PC gets it?

Yes, both prefereably with digital I/O...lightpipe digital as compared to SPDIF if you can...

- The midi controller (keyboard) connects to the DAW PC? yes?

Yes, Keyboard Out to soundcard's midi In or some midi device In (connected to DAW PC)

- I use my LAN to send data to GS3 PC ?

You'll need to buy Midi Over Lan for this. Basic router will do to send the midi info via LAN.

Or you can use just standard midi cables. But both computer will need Midi I/O.

The midi Over LAN works great. I'd go with that.

- How does it get back to the DAW?

Both DAW will need a network connection. Midi info travels via LAN using Midi Over LAN.

- What equipment will I need to accomplish all this back and forth communication???

Make sure Giga PC soundcard digital out connects to DAW dgital in (this is how you'll hear the module's sounds). Midi Over LAN takes care of the midi info and trigerring the PC Giga module.

And that's it. It's actually pretty simple.

Midi using Midi over LAN
    Audio (so you can hear the module) using soundcards digital I/O

Do this search on this forum. Loads of info ....

"FX Teleport"
    Derrkins

Music is an exact, inexact, subjective, objective ArtScience.
    - Derrkins 2002
    -----------------------------------------
    Stepped up again ....
    New specs ....
    Core 2 Quad 2.4
    Intel Media Edition MoBo
    2x2gb RAM

Smile Re: Need help with a few basics.... please!!

Thanks Marty.... I have a better understanding of what I'll need now.

I'm thinking of getting 2 Frontier WaveCenter/PCI cards ..... with FX Teleport (thanks GTBannah)

That should cover the connectivity issues.... sans cables etc. I hope. $$$

If there are any pitfalls to avoid, before I start purchasing, please let let me know.

thanks,
    steve

I'm not sure why you'd need FX Teleport when you're running GS 3.

If both of your soundcards have Midi I/O and digital I/O then that's all you need. (You don't even need Midi Over LAN as i mentioned)

I mentioned Midi Over LAN because you get 16 channels per port within MidiOver LAN.

If you just use your Soundcard's midi I/O you'll only get 16 channels.

I'm sure GS3 has multiple ports (GS 2 did anyway).

I don't know enough about fX teleport to say nay but you might want to look into MOL and see if that's more where you're going.

Lightbulb Re: Need help with a few basics.... please!!

Ok, so I did some comparing....please excuse my inexperience, as I understand .......
    Fx Teleport enables both audio and midi in/out of the GS3 and DAW through the LAN, without needing digital audio I/O from the GS3 box as long as you're LAN is a gigabit, to limit latency probs. There have been comments of inability to change patches but that is supposedly fixed in a recent GS3 ver.

this sounds interesting BUT
    I've read a few complaints about instability. ???? anyone

with MOL
    midi I/O with digital I/O, I would need 2 soundcards but it might be more stable.

Am I correct in this assessment? Have I missed any other differences?
    I just want to make the best choice here.
    thanks

Go Back to forum