• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to activate CC controllers?

Share/Bookmark

How to activate CC controllers?

I'm trying to activate CC17 and 111 (speed and intensity vibrato for NV brass and woodwinds) and frankly haven't a clue. I've seen mention hardware sliders and don't know what these are either or how they would work thru my system
    (using X-Custom instruments):
    Apple G4 1.25DP, 2G ram
    Logic Audio Pro 6.4
    External synths thru emagic AMT8 into Audiowerks 2 card
    Using a Roland D50 as midi motherboard.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: How to activate CC controllers?

Sam,

First of all, the two controllers are:

Aftertouch (or cc#131 on M-Audio keyboards) = vibrato intensity
    cc#17 = vibrato speed

Many of the newer keyboards have several sliders and knobs that can be freely assigned to any MIDI controller. I have a secondary keyboard from M-Audio that has 9 hardware sliders and 8 knobs. I assign them to the various controllers in GPO so that I can grab them quickly to test things as I program. They are a convenience but not necessary for GPO.

If you don't have a keyboard that supports aftertouch or has assignable sliders and knobs you can "draw" the controller data into your sequencer tracks. For vibrato (on the solo instruments that have the vibrato feature) you can draw Aftertouch and cc#17 data in your tracks to control the vibrato characteristics expressively.

I don't recall if the old D-50 has aftertouch. It may. If so, you could place data in your track for cc#17 to establish the speed of the vibrato and then play the passage from the keyboard as you record. When you want the vibrato to enter just press harder on the key you are holding down. If all is working properly, vibrato intensity should increase with greater pressure.

Tom

Tom: Thanks for your help. The D50 aftertouch with GPO instruments records in the Logic Pro matrix edit hyper draw window as "channel pressure". Can I convert this data -- channel pressure -- into vibrato?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Sam,

First of all, the two controllers are:

Aftertouch (or cc#131 on M-Audio keyboards) = vibrato intensity
    cc#17 = vibrato speed

Many of the newer keyboards have several sliders and knobs that can be freely assigned to any MIDI controller. I have a secondary keyboard from M-Audio that has 9 hardware sliders and 8 knobs. I assign them to the various controllers in GPO so that I can grab them quickly to test things as I program. They are a convenience but not necessary for GPO.

If you don't have a keyboard that supports aftertouch or has assignable sliders and knobs you can "draw" the controller data into your sequencer tracks. For vibrato (on the solo instruments that have the vibrato feature) you can draw Aftertouch and cc#17 data in your tracks to control the vibrato characteristics expressively.

I don't recall if the old D-50 has aftertouch. It may. If so, you could place data in your track for cc#17 to establish the speed of the vibrato and then play the passage from the keyboard as you record. When you want the vibrato to enter just press harder on the key you are holding down. If all is working properly, vibrato intensity should increase with greater pressure.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sam ward
    Tom: Thanks for your help. The D50 aftertouch with GPO instruments records in the Logic Pro matrix edit hyper draw window as "channel pressure". Can I convert this data -- channel pressure -- into vibrato?
    "Channel pressure" is another name for Aftertouch. There should be no need to convert anything. If you have an instrument loaded that has the vibrato feature then you should be able to easily test that from your keyboard. Play a note, hold the key down, and then start pressing harder. You should hear the vibrato intensity increase as you press harder and decrease as you let up on the pressure. Of course you will need to set the vibrato speed with cc#17 or you may get a very odd vibrato. Just be sure you actually have an instrument loaded that has the vibrato programming.

Incidentally, there are two types of Aftertouch that keyboards can put out: Mono Aftertouch and Poly Aftertouch. Very few keyboards support Poly. The GPO vibrato responds to Mono Aftertouch. I would expect the D50 to put out Mono Aftertouch data.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    "Channel pressure" is another name for Aftertouch. There should be no need to convert anything. If you have an instrument loaded that has the vibrato feature then you should be able to easily test that from your keyboard. Play a note, hold the key down, and then start pressing harder. You should hear the vibrato intensity increase as you press harder and decrease as you let up on the pressure. Of course you will need to set the vibrato speed with cc#17 or you may get a very odd vibrato. Just be sure you actually have an instrument loaded that has the vibrato programming.

Incidentally, there are two types of Aftertouch that keyboards can put out: Mono Aftertouch and Poly Aftertouch. Very few keyboards support Poly. The GPO vibrato responds to Mono Aftertouch. I would expect the D50 to put out Mono Aftertouch data.

Tom
    Thank you for clearing this up from the GPO side -- now back to Logic, which sometimes isn't always so. Or probably is and I'm not.

Wait, since when can we use aftertouch and vibrato controls in GPO???

It's nowhere in my manual... I have GPO update, is there some documentation to the update that I missed?

What other features am I missing?

Thanks,
    chris.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot

It's nowhere in my manual... I have GPO update, is there some documentation to the update that I missed?

Thanks,
    chris.
    Chris: this is using Apple's Logic sequencer where "channel pressure" is aftertouch and vibrato speed can be modified somewhat using the "Other" channel set to 17.

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot

Check the Update documentation for more info: http://www.garritan.com/support/GPOUpdate.pdf The Update documentation supersedes information in the manual.

Aftertouch and cc17 for vibrato control were added to a selection of NV solo instruments in GPO (it can only be added when NV instruments are available.)

Tom

Go Back to forum