• Register
  • Help

Topic: Keyboard controller problem...and advice on possible new one?

Share/Bookmark

Keyboard controller problem...and advice on possible new one?

I have this older model Kawai M8000 keyboard midi control. Whenever I try using it with samples that have large dynamic range, such as PMI pianos, the samples become metallicky sounding and like they are clipping badly.

I tried to adjust the velocity sensativity on the Kawai, but it doesn't help.

This just seems wierd to me since the keyboard is only sending midi messages and not any audio data. how could midi screw the sound up so badly?

If anyone has any suggestions on how I might fix this problem, please feel free to speak up. As it stands I can't use the keyboard for samples with more than one, or two dynamic layers, which is what I need, so it is kind of useless to me.

That being said, if I need to pick up something new, how do you all feel about the Kurzweil keyboards? I want something with a good "piano feel" and good build quality. The Kurzweils seem like they might fit that discription, plus they have onboard sounds which I would appreciate.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Re: Keyboard controller problem...and advice on possible new one?

Andrew,

You're right - your controller can't change the sound of the sample set when it's only putting out midi.

Sounds like the velocity curve on the keyboard and the velocity sensitivity of the sampler patch just don't gel and you're running into super bright fff samples too easily.

Rather than dump the 8000, I'd suggest doing a little editing on the patches - changing their response curve, maybe filtering or even removing the fff layer of samples.

Perhaps the library developer would even help you out with a custom patch.

Hi,
    I couldn't help replying here because I had a similar experience recently.
    The words "metalic sounding" is what hit me.
    I was accidentally transmitting on 2 midi ch's simultaneously from one of my kybds. It was still in LAYER mode, and I was trying to play a piano lib in Kontakt 2.....which was set to recieve in "OMNI" midi mode. This means that I was sending out DOUBLE midi information to the same piano lib. The result was a flanged(metalic)/ louder than normal/polyphony exceeding disgusting sound.
    I am not familiar with the Kawai model you mention, but check your midi zone/split point/layer options, OR check your samplers midi recieve mode.

Hope ya get that fixed and it's not the kybd. Good luck

Chadwick lives!

geez...it's only been 2 years since I started this thread. I'm sure I posted a reply in thanks, but it's nowhere to be seen. Better late than never, I guess.

Anyway, PB I checked the Kawai documentation and you were right on the money. It's working great now, so Thanks!

Glad you sorted it Andrew!

Go Back to forum