• Register
  • Help

Topic: Galaxy Steinway

Share/Bookmark

Galaxy Steinway

Hi all,
    I've just purchased Bosendorfer 290 and about to buy Galaxy Steinway.Does anyone own Galaxy Steinway? Is it recommended?

Tony

Re: Galaxy Steinway

Quote Originally Posted by tony patterson
    Hi all,
    I've just purchased Bosendorfer 290 and about to buy Galaxy Steinway.Does anyone own Galaxy Steinway? Is it recommended?

Tony
    Open question for me. I've yet to hear any really convincing demos of it!

JG
    http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=21331

Question Re: Galaxy Steinway

I was my self wondering if with the new K2 scripting the galaky could have received i nice upgrade as (for what i know) it does not feature release and sustain samples;
    the demos i heard (also by xavier bidault) were fantastic and i remember that also olivier frappier liked this piano...

Regards,

mario

Hi,

Best service doesn't want to update the Piano.

However....

Galaxy works fine with kornel script 4.0k

Script replace Convolution and samples pedal down and add harmonics rules between keys pedal up. (And self mask !)

http://music.mezo.com

Regards,

Olivier

I use the Galaxy Steinway now and then. It's a very different sound than the PMI Bosen 290... it's a more pristine sound -- a little more strictly-classical and uptight-sounding than the 290 -- but extremely accurate. The bosendorfer is a warmer, thicker, more solid sound with more variations (i looooove the Bosendorfer Dark patch) but the Galaxy is great for true classical recordings, or for a gentle, almost prissy piano sound in scoring.

The Galaxy is totally worth it, especially when you look at the low price. I think you won't be disappointed.

Kerry

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc
    I use the Galaxy Steinway now and then. It's a very different sound than the PMI Bosen 290... it's a more pristine sound -- a little more strictly-classical and uptight-sounding than the 290 -- but extremely accurate. The bosendorfer is a warmer, thicker, more solid sound with more variations (i looooove the Bosendorfer Dark patch) but the Galaxy is great for true classical recordings, or for a gentle, almost prissy piano sound in scoring.

The Galaxy is totally worth it, especially when you look at the low price. I think you won't be disappointed.

Kerry
    OK, I think you've made my mind up for me!
    Many thanks!!

Tony

BTW has anyone got a URL for the Galaxy? I want to listen to their demos again. I DID listen to a demo at Olivier's site, which certainly makes the piano sound very good. I'd like to hear some strictly classical stuff, though.

JG

Hi...I find the Galaxy Steinway to be a very enjoyable piano. It is as mentioned earlier quite pristine and clean sounding, which may not always be what you are looking for, but can be useful for certain settings. I am actually still not quite sure if it is a Steinway B or Steinway D, I think it is D. That is because it sounds sometimes quite intimate, tight and bright like a B but then also has at times deep expansive tones like a D. The high end from soft to loud (it has 10 velocity layers) is absolutely crystal clear and the low end is quite deep and powerful, and throughout, the brassy tones of a Steinway are truly captured. Unfortunately, it has no release or pedal down samples, but things like Olivier's and Mezo's Kontakt 2 script may be able to help in those areas. (I think Xavier also has programmed a different version that makes interesting use of the surround sound samples.) Also, although you can load the stereo and surround versions separately, it seems like the actual stereo and surround samples are not grouped apart on the hard drive but are intermingled across some very large instrument files (it would be nice for example to have just one group for the stereo samples to save on disk space if all one wanted to install was the stereo version). But all in all, a quite nice piano.

John, have you tried these links out?
    http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/...tml?sku=BS-384
    http://www.bestservice.de/detail.asp...idx=2645&flg=1

Go Back to forum